APC Forum

Cangas de Narcea cohetes descarga -or- Cangas de Narcea style rocket launch, PGI 2018, Mason City

dagabu

There have been many attempts at putting together a daytime, mass rocket launch at PGI but it has never gotten traction. I am proposing a commitment from as many of the rocket builders to make 25-100 rockets each for a mass launch during the daytime (5PM?) one evening (Wednesday?) at PGI in Mason City.

The primary focus will be on making a 5/8" ID rocket, 3.5" long with a clay nozzle and standard black powder (homemade is fine) topped with a single sheet of colored paper (TBD) wrapped around the rocket motor and acting as the header. This will have 1 ounce of flash, binary mixed after being sealed, folded over and tied off to the rocket stick.

This is a work in progress and a small test firing or two will take place at PGI this year in Fargo at the rocket line (after safety and rocket boss sign off). I invite anybody interested to keep tabs on this page for updates. Feel free to bring small rockets with a strand of black match fusing sticking out of the bottom and light off a barrage yourself!

I will be bringing 2 stands for these barrages.

• Like 1

I have not heard back yet, I am hoping he is just busy. Its all in English and I ran it through the google translator to Spanish just to be sure. One of our priests read it and made some changes but you should have seen his eyebrows shoot up! He told me that when he was vary young, his whole family went the the Carmen festival and saw the rockets. He is in his 60's now and is thinking very strongly of driving down to Mason City and watch the Cangas de Narcea style rocket launch.

Small world!!

Thanks David! I have a couple hundred cut for PGI, the rack gets assembled this weekend. ;)

If anybody is attending the PGI convention this year or next, please feel free to come to my table at manufacturing and build some rockets. I will have plenty of materials for them.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...

We are back at it! We had a semi-successful Cohete launch at Mason City and we'll be trying again on a smaller scale in Gillette.

The failure was in the rack not letting go of the rocket sticks because of raggedy holes in the timber.

We will be going back to the aluminum rack from the year before that worked so well but we'll Limited 2 perhaps two hundred rockets at a time.

We are using three-quarter inch ID tubes this time, the tooling was graciously donated buy Caleb from Woody's rocks.com

My wife wants to teach a rolling class to women on Rocket Manufacturing while she is at our table in manufacturing, it would be by appointment only and all those rockets would go into the Cohete launch on Thursday night.

• 5 weeks later...

New racks are in process, they are a hybrid (it will make more sense once I have them assembled) style with short guide tubes pressed into an aluminum box channel. The hope it to make a 10 minute setup rack for instant Cohete shoots!

I also have a few hundred tubes ready to be filled and pressed (this is on old pic when I was starting on them) but I will be trying clay nozzles on these so I can use a scratch mixed BP to save time and money.

gallery_9798_257_144654.jpg

gallery_9798_257_1160212.jpg