APC Forum

slowing down star drying

RiderX

i have no clue what happened this is the same comp as my second batch alls i did is dbl the size of the batch and split it 50-50 into 2 tub's so i would have everything premixed when i needed it

all the stars from the 1st half of the batch burned right , and the stars form this second half of the batch burn like this , though i havent test lit one of the smaller stars just yet

One strange effect i noticed when drying some cut glitter stars recently was after a couple days drying in climate controlled conditions, then about 4 hours drying in the box, they come out of the dry box warm and still very soft. As soon as they cool down, they harden up to the point i can no longer deform them without tools.

I think it's because of the differing solubility of potassium nitrate at different temperatures.

As a point of clarification D1 does not usually contain meal. That would make them burn a little bit faster, but I'm still stumped as to why yours burns so fast. This is the real D1 formula. http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/56-d1-glitter/

the comets got left outside when it rained , but didnt get rained on , i pulled all the small stars off the tray and brought them in before that happened so im going to light a star after work and see if they burn as fast as well.

like i said when it rained those comets got really really soft

also i will try the formula u posted tonight

edit

any 1 got ideas on what i can do with these comets that burn like that ? maybe put them under the shells for a mine effect? or do i just dispose of them

Edited by RiderX

Mines are my go-to for star comp scrap disposal I just wouldn't have a shell over it, just in case the scraps were too energetic.

Mines are my go-to for star comp scrap disposal I just wouldn't have a shell over it, just in case the scraps were too energetic.

gotcha , i would say mine are a bit to energetic lol , i do have enough of them to make a few 2.5 or 3 inch mines though , only issue is my tubes are 18"

im going to carefully split a few of them with a razor blade into 1/4's and try them out in a lil 1 1/4 inch id mortar first

I've made N1 (a little nicer than D1, IMO) using a soft-granulated BP base. The comets do burn a little faster, and leave behind a longer, more "twinkly" tail.