#21 stix

stix

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Interests:Pyrotechnics, Model Rocketry, Programming, Photography

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:38 AM

Hey Mike, I thought my knowledge of history was sh*t :P but I do believe Mumbles is correct.

In 1996 there was a massacre at Port Arthur in the state of Tasmania - not Transylvania!! ;) It's the Island state right at the bottom of Australia. Some lunatic shot and killed 35 people with two semi-automatic rifles. After a public uproar there was a gun amnesty and buy-back scheme. All it ended up doing was allowing people with a genuine gun license to trade in their old guns (even parts) and buy better ones.

Generally this was seen as a great achievement. However, as most thinking people understand, criminals don't follow the laws - so where there is a will, there will be a way. The general public can be quite simple-minded sometimes - or maybe it's just us Aussies :o.

The Prime Minister at that time (the Hon. John Howard) has historically said that the amnesty was one of his greatest achievements.

So, although Howard took the guns away from Australians, and his surname does begin with an "H", and people did truly loathe him in the end, it's fair to say he was no Hitler - although there still can be found small pockets of debate around that issue. :)

I just start the conversation - someone else has to question them.

#22 stix

stix

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 01:51 AM

Does Godwin's law apply to this forum? :-)

Ah Baldor, this is just brilliant! https://en.wikipedia...ki/Godwin's_law

Except for the fact in this instance the Hitler reference was accidental. I guess it does prove Godwins theory though.

#23 PeteyPyro

PeteyPyro

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Electronics, Fishing, Bass guitarist, Muscle cars, Ham Radio, Firearms & reloading, Home brewing, Scuba and cave diving, Lapidary, Organic gardening, traveling to Chile for "our" winters, and Pyrotechnics (of course) 😎. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 21 July 2017 - 04:19 AM

It applies to ALL of them...except for the 10 year/270 page long chlorate/perc cell thread. Ain't seen it there (yet).
  • stix likes this
Peter

#24 lloyd

lloyd

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:41 AM

Mumbles, yes;  I knew he meant Austria, but just couldn't resist.

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

#25 dynomike1

dynomike1

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts
  • Interests:Blowing Beaver dams, Shooting Cannons, Hunting, making fireworks.Buying guns.

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:50 AM

I may be thinking about another country.

Well i guess it might have been Poland or somewhere around there. I saw this on the History channel a good while back. Well anyway back on subject. Maybe i didnt read close enough, who is behind this? I think yall said Federal. Looks like maybe Kaye.

Edited by dynomike1, 21 July 2017 - 06:53 AM.

There are very few problems that cant be solved with explosives.

Explosives are a bang up job.

#26 stix

stix

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:56 AM

Well thanks very much Lloyd. Australia has always been the butt of many jokes - being at the arse end of the world and all. But I didn't think it would come to this.

#27 MrB

MrB

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:54 AM

Well thanks very much Lloyd. Australia has always been the butt of many jokes - being at the arse end of the world and all. But I didn't think it would come to this.

Meh... It's not the end of the world.

• PeteyPyro likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users