APC Forum

Black Powder

Tweetybird88

Why is it that the CIA method is inferior to the ball mill method. The CIA method is long, hard an complicated (usually a formula for a good product) and is still partially ball-milled (from what I've read) So why after all the toil and trouble of the CIA method would BP come out worse?

i dont know if bp done using CIA method is better or not , but the effort required to make it , is so big , i think , that is better ball mill method , is my opinion.

I think ball milling make better bp , than dissolving the bp in water , and then cool it.

There are people that know more about this two methods and can illustrate to our .

Why is it that the CIA method is inferior to the ball mill method.
Ball milling causes a high degree of homogeneity and forces the potassium nitrate and sulfur into the pores of the charcoal.

The Precipitation method is incapable of as intimate a mixing as ball milling. It also causes the potassium nitrate to partially crystalize out of the solution, leading to an even poorer mix.

The CIA method is long, hard an complicated (usually a formula for a good product)
Um, you've got that backwards. A good procedure should be as simple as possible. The CIA method is inferior to the far simpler process of ball milling. Do not complicate beyond necessity.

Making potassium nitrate(and thereby blackpowder) from feces and urine is a very long and complicated procedure, but it doesn't mean it is a procedure for excellent quality black powder.

Ok seriously, you couldn't find a single other thread on black powder?

The newbie section is more lightly enforced, but it isn't a substitute for not searching and finding an appropriate thread.