APC Forum

Shells

Lrsnsam

I have 1 3/8" paper shells and also 2 5/8" paper shells. What size ID tubes should I buy for these guys? Where should I get the tubes for them and does anyone have a non commercial source for buying these.

First things first, don't use PVC.

I buy all my tubes from http://www.platteriverfireworks.com/

They have a good range of sizes and they work great for what I have used them for.

Though, they do not have tubes small enough for the 1-3/8"s.

I think with pasting and fusing, the 2-5/8"s would work well in a 3" tube.

You can also make your own with HDPE tubing which can be found in some hardware stores and junkyards, a lot of the time. I've made a few of my own using hole saws for the plugs and tubes from my local store.

First things first, don't use PVC.

I buy all my tubes from http://www.platteriverfireworks.com/

They have a good range of sizes and they work great for what I have used them for.

Though, they do not have tubes small enough for the 1-3/8"s.

I think with pasting and fusing, the 2-5/8"s would work well in a 3" tube.

You can also make your own with HDPE tubing which can be found in some hardware stores and junkyards, a lot of the time. I've made a few of my own using hole saws for the plugs and tubes from my local store.

I found "1 1/2″ tube 12″ long

1 1/2″ plug" on their website, would this work for the 1 3/8?

Edited by Lrsnsam

Meowmix, the 1.5" tubes are under the consumer mortars and racks.

It's kind of unclear what exactly you're talking about. As in are these the diameters of the finished shells, or the diameter of the hemis/casings, or if this is a commercial item?

If it's the finished diameter 1.5" and 3" mortars will probably work fine. If it's the diameter of the casing, the 3" mortar will still work fine. The 1.5" mortar might be cutting it a little close if that's the casing diameter.

If you need something a little larger than 1.5" ID, the cores for aluminum foil or stretch wrap are sometimes 1.625" ID. This is basically the diameter of a paper towel or toliet paper roll, just more heavy duty. You could also try rolling your own. The OD of 1.25" PVC is 1.66" and would be a good former.