APC Forum

MgAl substitite for Al in Glitters

usapyro

I happen to have a lot of MgAl, and not much use for it as I don't make dragon eggs anymore. I was thinking of using it for Glitter.

Is there anything in particular I should know about using MgAl? Does it behave the same as Al when it comes to the water-nitrate reaction?

Besides substituting it directly in formulas like D1 and N1... W19 looks like a good comp to try out.

Edited by usapyro

Although I usually add coarse MgAl in small amounts to many AL glitter formulas, I'd suggest trying a glitter formulated for it, like W20. It behaves much different than AL and has a slightly different fuel value. You won't be disappointed.

What mesh size MgAl do you have?

Jason

Edited by NeighborJ

I have -325, -200, and some other size.

The -325 stuff is like almost stuck together after a few years... Has to be scraped hard with a plastic spoon to get it back to powder. Odd. :/

USA, not at all 'odd'. ANY humidity at all will cause Mg/Al to agglomerate. Your best bet (because it also partly decomposes when that happens) is to have enough to meet current needs, and not store it for long periods of time.

Lloyd

W19 is a nice one. I use 100-200 mesh granular mgnal in it. Nice bright flashes. Don't over wet them, and I found they do best rolled.