• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 usapyro

usapyro

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:31 AM

I happen to have a lot of MgAl, and not much use for it as I don't make dragon eggs anymore. I was thinking of using it for Glitter.

Is there anything in particular I should know about using MgAl? Does it behave the same as Al when it comes to the water-nitrate reaction?

Besides substituting it directly in formulas like D1 and N1... W19 looks like a good comp to try out.

Edited by usapyro, 19 June 2017 - 01:44 AM.

youtube.com/usapyro

I make my BP with Rhamnus Frangula Purshiana!!!

#2 NeighborJ

NeighborJ

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Rig welder, trecky, amateur rocketry

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:01 AM

Although I usually add coarse MgAl in small amounts to many AL glitter formulas, I'd suggest trying a glitter formulated for it, like W20. It behaves much different than AL and has a slightly different fuel value. You won't be disappointed.

What mesh size MgAl do you have?

Jason

Edited by NeighborJ, 19 June 2017 - 04:03 AM.

#3 usapyro

usapyro

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:51 PM

I have -325, -200, and some other size.

The -325 stuff is like almost stuck together after a few years... Has to be scraped hard with a plastic spoon to get it back to powder. Odd. :/

youtube.com/usapyro

I make my BP with Rhamnus Frangula Purshiana!!!

#4 lloyd

lloyd

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:54 PM

USA, not at all 'odd'.  ANY humidity at all will cause Mg/Al to agglomerate.  Your best bet (because it also partly decomposes when that happens) is to have enough to meet current needs, and not store it for long periods of time.

Lloyd

"Pyro for Fun and Profit for More Than Fifty Years"

#5 Sparx88

Sparx88

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:31 AM

W19 is a nice one. I use 100-200 mesh granular mgnal in it. Nice bright flashes. Don't over wet them, and I found they do best rolled.

.
Finding solace and comfort on my path of pyrotechnic illumination and enlightenment. Painting the sky with strokes of vibrant anticipation and freedom. From spark to spark, the chain reaction of beauty and power that ignite the imaginations and inspirations of young and old alike.        -my pyro sparxs- 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users