Photo
- - - - -

Wheat Paste Tubes - Bake them to harden?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 usapyro

usapyro

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:35 AM

Wondering if anyone had tips on how to get wheat paste to maximum hardness. I am going to take a shot at rolling some tubes with wheat paste tomorrow. (Well, today, but after I sleep.)

I was reading that you can bake or heat your tubes to harden them further. Kinda like baking bread? *Confused*

Also, I currently have High Gluten Flour, White Flour, and All Purpose Flour. I'm thinking the High Gluten Flour would be best?

Edit: After a little more research, it looks like this step would need to be done after the tubes are at least halfway dried to prevent fast drying causing your tubes to warp. I found Elmers works great for rolling today, but I don't like what I'm reading about the heat weakening issues with Elmers and Wood Glues... Especially with long burn time end-burners!

Edited by usapyro, 18 June 2017 - 02:13 AM.

youtube.com/usapyro

I make my BP with Rhamnus Frangula Purshiana!!!

#2 NeighborJ

NeighborJ

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Rig welder, trecky, amateur rocketry

Posted 18 June 2017 - 03:44 PM

USA, the best glue I've found for rolling tubes has been Elmer's wood glue Max. Hardness is not always the best solution for tubes, they'll crack the inner turns of paper during pressing or ramming. The solution for maximum flame resistance is to use high quality thick paper.

I use virgin paper and never exceeded 10 turns, if I do the tube tends to have all kinds of issues such as worping, delamination,wraping off coarse and soft tubes. The best workaround is to use thicker paper, similar to oaktag or manilla folders. This stuff is hard to find and expensive but will make tubes to rival or even surpass the quality of NEPT.

Anyone who rolls their own tubes has their own process and stubbornly stands by it so there are many teqniques but they all eventually find that tubes need to use high quality paper and there is no gluing procedure which can compensate for inadequate materials.

Jason

#3 usapyro

usapyro

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:23 PM

USA, the best glue I've found for rolling tubes has been Elmer's wood glue Max. Hardness is not always the best solution for tubes, they'll crack the inner turns of paper during pressing or ramming. The solution for maximum flame resistance is to use high quality thick paper.

I use virgin paper and never exceeded 10 turns, if I do the tube tends to have all kinds of issues such as worping, delamination,wraping off coarse and soft tubes. The best workaround is to use thicker paper, similar to oaktag or manilla folders. This stuff is hard to find and expensive but will make tubes to rival or even surpass the quality of NEPT.

Anyone who rolls their own tubes has their own process and stubbornly stands by it so there are many teqniques but they all eventually find that tubes need to use high quality paper and there is no gluing procedure which can compensate for inadequate materials.

Jason

I have been using Elmers Glue-All so far, and it works amazingly. Tubes are ready after a few hours in the food dehydrator.

I was thinking about the brittleness aspect. The Slight flex in the Elmers helps the inner layers flex out a little when ramming tubes.

Did not get around to trying wheat paste yet. Maybe it's better for "Pressed" rockets.

youtube.com/usapyro

#4 NeighborJ

NeighborJ

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Rig welder, trecky, amateur rocketry

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:25 AM

I'm not knocking wheat paste, the wood glue just suits my process better. The paste required that a coating be spread over the entire sheet prior to rolling. The Elmer's needed only be applied as a line along the rolled crease and then rolled out with pressure. No drying time is required with the thick paper before use because the % of moisture left from the glue slick is so tiny.

A small amount of moisture is beneficial in any tube. 3-15% moisture will help a paper stretch to the load but usually anything over 6-8% starts breaking down the glues. 0% moisture causes the paper to become brittle. So the best is 3-5%.

Jason

Edited by NeighborJ, 19 June 2017 - 04:27 AM.

#5 usapyro

usapyro

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:08 PM

Here are my Elmers Glue-All rolled tubes.

youtube.com/usapyro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users