APC Forum

A bit leftfield: Exploding airgun targets.

cornz

Hi folks.

I'm trying to imitate these:

http://www.firebirdtargets.co.uk/

Great fun but £1.00 a target.

Specifically the air gun ones. Either full noise, or no noise. A nice puff of smoke would suffice.

Now, i'm guessing they are likely a flash powder which is sensitive to friction or impact. UK airguns are limited to 12ft lbs so are low velocity.

I wondered if anyone had any experience with a suitable composition. They need to be transportable and the ones I bought, I forgot about but they remained sound for almost 3 years, despite the metal cases showing signs of rust.

There is nothing on the packet to suggest what's in them but they are a silvery powder so im speculating aluminium / magnesium and perchlorate or a similar mix.

Any info gratefully appreciated.

Thank you.

I saw this video on youtube a while a go.

They look pretty decent to me, definitely a flash and puff of smoke for recognising a hit.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DpPKFUEqoBsE&ved=0ahUKEwiMt_Omw4XUAhVBNZQKHaXBBXcQtwIIGzAA&usg=AFQjCNFHXbWVd2bTd9kturtGf_fX362xhA

Edited by greenlight
  • Like 1

I like the "65MM- for clay pigeon shooting” with the lever action rifle under it. Dang Brits must be alot better shots than I am :D

Since in your first post you mentioned “I’m a complete beginner to all this” My suggestion is to do alot more reading and work your way safely up to friction sensitive explosives.

On Edit: Matter of fact..if you DID do alot more reading..all the info is here. But if you enjoy your fingers where they are...start with other projects.

Edited by Richtee

Holy crap..they ship these ready to go? SMH...

The low impact ones need something really scary to work. Stuff like armstrongs mixture comes to mind. I think i would chicken out. I like my hands, and my eyes.

I like the "65MM- for clay pigeon shooting” with the lever action rifle under it. Dang Brits must be alot better shots than I am :D

Since in your first post you mentioned “I’m a complete beginner to all this” My suggestion is to do alot more reading and work your way safely up to friction sensitive explosives.

On Edit: Matter of fact..if you DID do alot more reading..all the info is here. But if you enjoy your fingers where they are...start with other projects.

Oh believe me, i've been reading. I have a great deal of chemistry knowledge but from a looong time ago and when I said I was a complete beginner, I meant in this field of, shall we say, "deflagrating compounds" as I understand the rules concerning discussions of HE are frowned upon. Also, I shall be experimenting with tiny amounts, 0.1 gms or equivalent as I have every intention of keeping my appendages intact and the correct number thereof. And , of course, I've read all about flash powders and am pretty confident that's what I need to replicate. The reason I am here is because you folks have a level of experience in orders of magnitude of my own. So, someone on here will have tried some of the rather esoteric compounds and will have a better idea of which ones are more stable and easier to handle / produce. Nothing beats experience and I am asking for someone to share a little bit with me.

Thanks for the concern but I promise to stay safe.

I saw this video on youtube a while a go.

They look pretty decent to me, definitely a flash and puff of smoke for recognising a hit.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DpPKFUEqoBsE&ved=0ahUKEwiMt_Omw4XUAhVBNZQKHaXBBXcQtwIIGzAA&usg=AFQjCNFHXbWVd2bTd9kturtGf_fX362xhA

Looks promising although i'll start with a tenth the amount!!! Thanks for that.

Thats okay, please be careful and do some research on the subject/compounds before mixing them.

if you check the patent, US 2010/0275802 A1 I think you will find the composition is

pot chlorate

thiourea

charcoal

granulated with accroide resin.

this is the impact sensitive part.

for the noise/signal part pot perchlorate / aluminium granulated with accroide resin

70 parts impact composition to 30 parts noise/signal composition

• Like 1

if you check the patent, US 2010/0275802 A1 I think you will find the composition is

pot chlorate

thiourea

charcoal

granulated with accroide resin.

this is the impact sensitive part.

for the noise/signal part pot perchlorate / aluminium granulated with accroide resin

70 parts impact composition to 30 parts noise/signal composition

Interesting. There are no patent numbers on the packet. Well, of course all the ingredients are available online, its the proportions which will require some experimentation.

Thanks for this useful info.

I suggest you actually look through the patent. It has both compositions listed explicitly.

Flash:

Potassium Perchlorate - 66%

Aluminum Powder - 28%

Red Gum - 6%

Sensitizer:

Potassium Chlorate - 48%

Charcoal - 32%

Thiourea - 16%

Red Gum - 4%

Both are granulated (presumably with alcohol) to an approximately 1.7mm size, which is probably about 12 mesh. 30 parts flash granules are mixed with 70 parts sensitizer granules allegedly and you're good to go.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
crikey...!..I don't fancy trying to push a ball of the sensitizer through a screen to granulate it, I think I will stick to the kclo3,s,dex slurry made in very small amounts and painted onto beermats that fit inside my pellet catcher when I want something less boring to plink at (hw 90)..hope everyone has a nice weekend...joe