APC Forum

Rolling spiral body tubes

Redrocketman

As most do I purchase all cardboard spiral body tubes from my supplier, but I urgently need to replace an AV bay on a very sentimental rocket ASAP. I would class myself as very competent as far as general build and design go now but through it all I have never wrapped my own tubes!! - there has been no need till now!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated 🚀🚀👍🏻👍🏻

Can you use a convolute tube instead? Don't know how long it needs to be but parallel wound would be a lot easier to roll than spiral.

But I've never had a sentimental rocket because they all blow up if they work right. So maybe spiral is a necessity in a sentimental (reuseable?) rocket?

I imagine it can be done though. I would cut some strips of paper maybe 3x ID wide. And mark an angle on my rolling table about 45 deg from the long axis. Then roll up a strip of paper that is set on the angle. Then roll the next piece starting maybe 90 degrees offset on the circumference so the seam is offset. Or maybe more like 75 degrees so the seam won't overlap eventually.

I haven't done it but that is what I would try if I was desperate. Though that would probably be after I tried to buy one at a hobby store or find some type of core with the necessary diameter to repurpose.