APC Forum

Ignorance and stupidity prevents me from ever getting legal

Ubehage

Ube,

One other thing:

When you DO finally get your own business going, and it's running successfully, I want you to VERY carefully record what your own responses are when an employee regularly starts 'just showing up when they want to'.

Let me know how that goes.

Lloyd

I think you got me wrong, Lloyd. :)

DavidF knows what I mean, and I think he explained it good.

I feel like a slave. It has nothing to do with being lazy or anything. It has to do with my personality. I can't say where it comes from, but in my experience I always felt this way.

I need to know that I am free, and not having someone say "You HAVE to, or you will get punished!"

Edited by Ubehage

But Ube, that's not how businesses operate (or CAN operate!). They must - above all - have 'predictability' in their daily operations.

That's not a personal thing -- that's just the fact.

Lloyd

• Like 1

But Ube, that's not how businesses operate (or CAN operate!). They must - above all - have 'predictability' in their daily operations.

That's not a personal thing -- that's just the fact.

Lloyd

We agree on that. Unfortunately.

Since i'm on disability, i don't work, but, uh, back when i did... If i had any reason to think i was contagious, i staid home. It's not about being lazy, it's about not getting the rest of the workforce sick, and actually costing the employer a fair bit more. Caught a cold? Virus, contagious, stay home. Allergic reaction to pollen? Not contagious, go to work. And then there is all the weird reason you actually can be sick without being contagious, and should stay home regardless. All in all, i don't think i ever had 5 sickdays in a single year, but then i'm sort of catching up now.

Been on disability since i turned 33. That is.... a few years by now.

B!

It sounds like you'd fit in great in graduate school. Generally very flexible hours and you get to kind of do your own thing. I can't say you'd be out of place being on the autism spectrum either.

• Like 2

Permanent student is a thing now I reckon.

Just make sure if you go to graduate school make sure it's science or engineering. You don't pay to be there, and in fact you are given a stipend for living expenses since you are now working as a paid researcher rather than going to school. Grad school is a job and you still have deadlines and meetings to meet.

When I take PTO I make sure I have a really good reason for it. If I took discretionary leave I make sure I do it at a good time (last half of january, right before summer, etc. is a good time since retail tends to be kinda dead). Also, request the days off well in advanced so management can plan around them. Short notice or sudden leaves tend to piss people off. If management for whatever reason fail to plan around them (happens a lot), it's on them.

For me it's job security as the most important. Above pay and position or who you work under, for or with. In my line of work I would always be working for someone, someplace etc due to the nature of the work. The only way to get out from under is to, open my own sign shop. But I have no formal small business management experience and you need employees right from the start..and finding experienced sign fabricators, installers, service, salesmen, painters, vinyl graphics guy/gal, production manager, engineer structural and electrical, and a secretary to start. Crane/bucket trucks (Elliott) 100k each..on and on blah blah. But thats the beauty of it, job security is automatically very high. If it were easy everyone would be doing it. You can get work with your autism in the sign industry and do well and get payed well. The experience in so many things you learn doing it is priceless if you start as an installers/mechanics help. 2 man team each truck, away from the shop and always someplace new and never boring. You'll be trained up asap for your CDL B, learn crane/bucket operation, welding and burning, ..the list goes on. I was at 19$ hour when I became disabled.

I only say all that because I hope you'll try it out. It may be the answer to your concerns. I have to say though, it's addicting work and once your in it you won't "want" to miss a day.

Permanent student is a thing now I reckon.

I wish that were just true of those afraid of the real world. The unfortunate truth is that more and more education is becoming required or expected or those trying to enter the workforce. Jobs that used to require a high school diploma now require a college degree. Jobs that used to require a college degree are often now looking for masters or PhD's. Jobs that used to required PhD's are now looking for Postdoctoral work. I'm currently trying to avoid the latter of those. This is a broad generalization of course.

On the plus side you go from being "crazy" to "escentric", and "asshole" to "has quirks" when they have to call you Doctor.

I have three personal friends who, under that particular qualification, "have quirks". They're OK. By then, they've usually realized that the PhD was just a way to get tenure -- nothing more. Some actually regret not having "real world experience".

(One of them does... he was a line manager at GM, back in it's heyday. That was BEFORE he got his PhD and post-doctoral works, so he knows the difference.)

Lloyd

Edited by lloyd

I've been thinking about retirement and the options I have. I plan to walk into Vanderbilt University wearing a Che sweatshirt and hippie sandals. That coupled with my beard and ponytail should allow me to pose as a conflicted gender studies professor until I finally die. I've eaten in the faculty cafeteria there and it's very good. Showers and "contemplation" (read nap) rooms are also abundantly available.