APC Forum

Building a small scale KCLO3/04 Cell

AustralianPyromaniac

would i be able to use a mason canning jar for my cell or would the metal in the lid contaminate the chlorate ? i could get the plastic screw lids that fit on mason jars if that helps

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• insutama

• MrB

• AustralianPyromaniac

• Baldor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Find you several old porcelain lids, I say several because they are very hard to drill without breaking. They are very resistant to attack by chemicals. I don't think that container would be large enough to give you any reasonable return though.

• 2 months later...

Hello, everyone. Though I would post up some pictures of my cell finally and get a bit more advice.

The issue I have been having with my cell is basiclly that any epoxy/ silicone/ glue I use to try and seal the electrodes gets destroyed in one run! The cell is working fine but I would really like a way to seal the electrodes into the lid so the Cl2 isn't venting into my shed. Basically, what 'adhesive' is best to seal a chlorate cell. I really couldn't find an answer for this though I'm sure its out there so sorry for asking this.

This is my 2L cell making about 1kg of Ba(ClO3)2 from pottery grade BaCO3. The impurities in the BaCl2 make the solution all sorts of strange colors when they're electrolyzed but after a filtration and evaporation, the product works great!

post-20885-0-80107500-1508503406_thumb.jpg

post-20885-0-09083000-1508503478_thumb.jpg

Regards, AP

Airtight seals on a cell? Sounds like a bad accident waiting to happen.

You are continuously producing mostly hydrogen (?) gas. Not venting it, will create a pressurized situation, and sooner or later things will end badly.

MrB is right you need to release the pressure. Vent to the outside using a tube of some kind where the gases will do no damage.......Pat

MrB is right you need to release the pressure. Vent to the outside using a tube of some kind where the gases will do no damage.......Pat

Since it is, i believe, mostly hydrogen, it should be safe to burn of. I know people make gas generators for the sole purpose to generate, and store flammable gas, and with some care taken, the "problem gas" could be turned in to an asset.

There would be small amounts of oxygen, and "junk" gasses in the mix, but nothing that should make it blow up in your face... I think. Not really sure it would be worth the trouble, more like, speculative thinking, and what if's, so to speak. The energy in the gasses produced would be negligible in comparison to whats needed to run the cell. Not something you could pipe in to the gas burning motor of a generator, and power the system with.

I see the misunderstanding here. I don't by any means intend to seal the cell completely because as you say that would be totally idiotic. That hole in the top excepts a plastic nipple connector which then connects to a venting tube that travels out of the shed. However, I removed it because it served no purpose seeing the gas just leaked around it and didn't travel through it as soon as the hot glue seal broke (this was my final idea of a glue after the others failed). I have attached a photo of the the nipple and hosing attached below which demonstrates how it works. Note, this nipple also needs to be glued air tight to the lid. Thanks for your concern though.

post-20885-0-79199400-1508553305_thumb.jpg

Regards, AP

Edited by AustralianPyromaniac