Just saw this, it is sad and my best wishes to the students and their families; it does sound like they had caught a case of the stupids though.
Four students were injured, at least one seriously, when a rocket engineering club’s experiment exploded in a campus parking lot Thursday night, University of Idaho officials say.
The student chapter of Northwest Organization of Rocket Engineers was conducting an experiment on rocket fuel and was not attempting to launch a rocket or other projectile, Ewart said.
The device used for the experiment was a galvanized metal pipe, 8 to 12 inches long and about 1.5 inches in diameter. It was placed on a wooden pallet that was destroyed in the explosion, he said.
The students reportedly wore protective gear, and Ewart said a faculty adviser was on hand for the experiment.
He said the student who lit the fuel was wearing a face shield, and club members watching wore eye protection, the Daily News reports. The other co-president who stood near the explosion wore eye protection but not a face shield, he said.
I'm sorry but wearing a cheap face shield and some plastic lab glasses does not constitute safety gear when you are hand-lighting a 12 inch galvanized steel pipe full of experimental homemade rocket fuel.
The article also states that the student who lit it is in critical condition but expected to recover, the other 3 had minor surgery and are now stable. The FBI is investigating but is not considering it a criminal matter; meanwhile we make some sparklers and you would think it was the end of the world...