APC Forum

Pumping comets with phenolic (success)

braddsn

As I posted here many months back, I no longer keep red gum in my chemical arsenal, I have replaced it with phenolic resin. I roll all of my colors with it, and feel it is the superior way to roll/bind stars. Last night I successfully pumped color comets using phenolic as the binder. I pumped the comets with the same amount of moisture as usual (except using alcohol instead of water), they were 3/4" comets, (pink in this case) and they were rock hard and dry in 3 hours. The phenolic has made everything easier in my manufacturing processes, and is half the price of red gum to boot! If you haven't tried it, I suggest you do so.

I need to. I have 5lbs of milled resin from Jim at ctpyro that I haven't tried yet. Thanks for the update on your success.

Chuck, that's where I get my phenolic as well. It is amazing stuff.

Yeah that's what I hear! Im still working my way up to colored stars. Started my first 4" cylinder shells this weekend but only made tigertail and some timed reports. I have some spolettes left though so I might try making up some colors. What do you recommend for a good, easy first color star with phenolic?

Try spanish red: KCLO4 - 48, Strontium Carbonate - 17, Phenolic Resin - 11, Parlon - 10, MgAl (200 mesh) - 11. To wet, I use 91% isopropyl alcohol (I get it at wal-mart). Any color comp that calls for red gum, just substitute with the redgum with phenolic and roll, cut, or pump with alcohol. Good luck.

So your saying the weight of the phenolic is the same as the red gum? Does it take away from the colors?

Jim Widman says to use 83% phenolic when replacing red gum to keep the fuel value balanced.

Fotia, I use a 1:1 replacement for redgum, and there is no difference in the color. The only difference I notice, is that the stars ignite easier.

They light easier and burn faster.

Like Mike said, they light easier, and burn faster. However, with the faster burn, there is also more light output.. they definitely burn brighter.

I'm going to try my first married 1.75" comets using phenolic blue and gold Tremalon. I made the blue wafers ¼ to ¾ Tremalon. Burn times seemed pretty equal in tests.

Video or it didn't happen. BTW, why haven't you been on mspag?

Haven't figured out how to navigate it or see new posts.

Click on the FAQ in the upper left.

Thanks! Much easier on the laptop!

• 2 weeks later...

The correct phenolic is phenole-hexamine-novolac, with a content of free phenol less than 1%.

Pyro-factories use it since years as a good and cheap substitute fore red gum.

Yours truly: Toivo

Edited by drtoivowillmann

Up until now I have only cut stars (plan to make roller very soon). Anyone have any experience cutting stars with phenolic? I am wondering if there are any differences in texture ect. I imagine there is a shorted working time since alcohol is used, but alcohol doesn't evaporate as fast as acetone, and I have no problem cutting them.

The general consensus is that phenolic bound/fueled stars cut MORE easily than those made with dextrin. It might be a 'toss-up' with SGRS.

Lloyd

I don't have much experience with it, but I found it very difficult to make cut stars with phenolic binding. The comp remained crumbly no matter how much alcohol I added. Then it became crumbly and sticky, especially the knife. The stars I did manage to cut dried rock hard. For me, it has been the least user-friendly binder- for cut stars :(

Mat, you will find that cutting stars with phenolic is easier than with dex. In addition, those babies dry FAST!! I made some small pink cut stars a few days ago and they were dry and rock hard 8 hours later. I LOVE phenolic! I roll most of my stars, and roll all color stars with phenolic/alcohol. I pump and cut all color stars with phenolic also. And when priming things with monocapa, I use phenolic as the binder.

Brad,

Im hopefully going to cut up some of Kyle's emerald gen stars this weekend. I made the test batch with the quoted formula and plan on binding with water/alcohol. If I like the color and make a full batch Id like to replace the red gum(about 2%) and the dextrin(about 5%) with phenolic and bind with denatured alcohol.

Chuck, I don't think that will work very well. Only replace the redgum with phenollic, NOT the dex. By replacing the dex with phenolic, your burn rate will change drastically, and will possibly throw other things out of whack (color). I replace the redgum with phenolic (1:1) in my color star formulas, and just delete the dextrin. Then roll with alcohol.