APC Forum

Percentage Indicator Strip - which visual representation is more effective?

stix

Perhaps a bit obscure, but it's still about Rocketry. A Software solution I'm working on.

At the bottom of the image where we have Class H. Which of the following percentage indicators represents more clearly the value of 29%?

The Blue Line or the Dot?

Try not to think too much, just look. First thoughts are more important.

Total Impulse 206 LINE

OR

Total Impulse 206 DOT

I think the solid line gives a better representation.

Blue line

The line.

But I think a couple more hash marks for maybe 25, 50, and 75 percent would be fairly helpful in quickly realizing it's meaning. Maybe in black that is still visible thru the blue line. With the 29% written next to it, this probably isn't needed but I think it would look better.

I'm sort of heading in the same direction as FlaMtnBkr, but perhaps more extreme.

Dot or line, it's all the same, as long as the scale isn't actually readable. But, what is it we are looking at? At which point something starts, or stops doing something? Dot, for sure. If we are looking at a indication of during which time something happened, line.

Example. Peak thrust happens for a split moment, where as impulse, is over the whole duration of the burn, or at the very least, part of the duration. So dot, vs line. Also, line, indicating duration, would then not (always) start at the far left. A slow to ramp up motor would have burn time, where no, or insignificant thrust is generated, so could / should have a bit of white on both sides of the "impulse" marker.

But again. I'm actually not sure what the 29% supposedly indicates, which, seams like it could be significant.

B!

B I took it as an indication of where it stands in the"H"class motor range between G and I.

It may be more obvious to the user if it gave a partial scale, start with G and extend the solid line to where it corresponds to between H and I.

Edited by NeighborJ

In that case, it's a static value, not a range, i'd go with the dot, but without reference points, it doesn't really tell you anything...

"Sure. Somewhere around a quarter, or at-least definitely less then half."

B!

Thanks all.

Yeah, a bit cryptic. The "indicator" shows a static value for total impulse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_rocket_motor_classification

The dot idea is dead. Does this image make it any clearer?

TI Indicator Ideas

What is the Classification looking at the graphic. Which one is now easier to understand - if at all?
Edited by stix

I like the "ideal" indicator. It leaves no questions.

Yep, I agree. Thanks NJ.

That's going to be a bit harder to implement in my software due to graphic limitations. The images posted above were mocked-up in Illustrator.

Nevertheless it's doable. The point of the post was if the "visual" can be understood in a simple manner, than having to check the values from a written chart.

Cheers.

[EDIT] Although you said "it leaves no questions", you never actually answered the question of what the classification was. Please do so otherwise your evaluation will have to be struck from my list of potentials :)

Edited by stix

You Guys... and exactly what does it tell you?

Stix, it (the 'ideal') tells me clearly that the motor is 29% 'up' from the bottom of the "H" class, in the range between "H" and "I". Even without any prior explanations, that would be clear from that particular graphic.

Lloyd

• Like 1

Thanks Lloyd. I did know that you knew, but I still needed clarification.

As an aside, how would you equate that method of classification, ie. "H" motor to the general pyrotechnic motors like 1lb, 2lb etc.?

It would be nice in my software to have a general equivalent rating.

Stix, I have never run the impulse figures to get an idea of how the pyro classifications compare to the AmRoc classifications.

(sorry)

Lloyd

Which one is now easier to understand - if at all?

"Ideal" is stating that whatever it is your showing a stat for, is 29% of the way from H, to I.

"The compromise" says that H29, is about of a third. Even if you changed it to be like H 29%, it would at best be "on the way TO H class, not H class +29%

And since it's a static value, the dotted line, is (in my mind) 100% the right way to go. So, as shown in "Ideal" would be perfect.

B!

Not that it would change my mind but what is the goal for this label? Meaning, is this an aid for yourself to identify your own motors? I was thinking of having stickers made with a dozen or so of my most common motor types with check mark boxes for use as a universal identification sticker. The info I was planning on identifying was,dia,fuel type, spindle type, delay type, delay timing and possibly a space for misc notes. But these would be for firework rockets.

. . . what is the goal for this label? Meaning, is this an aid for yourself to identify your own motors? . . .

The label is part of the performance & results calculated using some software I'm currently writing (not too far off finished). The software is used for recording & evaluating the data from an Impulse Recorder/Thrust Meter/Test Rig etc.

This graphic will replace the current total impulse indicator - seen in the performance & results panel near the bottom l/h corner of the attached image.

http://i.imgur.com/Vj2VsSd.jpg