APC Forum

Tubes for making 60 gram can shells?

Cartmann

Looking to make some 60 gram can shell for the 4th.

The best I could find was 4lb. rocket tubes with a 1/4inch wall.

That seems like it would too heavy???

Need a tube with 1 3/4 o.d +/_

Any Help?

Thanks

Cartmann

Catmann,

Make your own from heavy virgin kraft paper! You might refer to Pyrotechnica IX and XI for details on how to form canister shells from the raw stock.

Lloyd

If your goal is to produce shells from scratch, I think it would be more worthwhile to adhere to standard construction techniques. The "60g" can shells on the consumer market are good at making a bunch of noise and dumping a lot of stars in the sky, but they are challenging to replicate and pose a significant fallout risk due to the heavy clay plugs used in their construction.

• 3 weeks later...

I use to use toilet paper tubes to make small 1.75" shells. Need to spike and wrap them. After the quick match it would be nice for into the gun. If they were too big i had a 2" gun that worked perfectly.

I've gone as far as making a mini 3 break salami. That required the 2" gun.

Edited by CrossOut

Wooden dowel, kraft and self made . If you have the best of afn books, in some of them, if I do not mistake, are very good articles about it.

I agree with the sentiments of the others who've posted here.

If you wanna impress the folks, you gotta build a few of these (copied from fireworking.com):

Here are the individual breaks.

IMG_0610%5B1%5D.JPG

Color-to-report assembly spiked longitudinally only.

IMG_0614%5B1%5D.JPG

Break #5 with it's plug removed.

IMG_0616%5B1%5D.JPG

IMG_0618%5B1%5D.JPG

IMG_0620%5B1%5D.JPG

Break #5 spiked on longitudinally only.

IMG_0624%5B1%5D.JPG

That process was carried until I finally got up to break #1.

IMG_0631%5B1%5D.JPG

IMG_0633%5B1%5D.JPG

Now, once the longitudinals holding break #1 on were completed, I wound on the circumferential spiking.

IMG_0636%5B1%5D.JPG

As you can see, this one is a full INCH shorter than the last one I made, and feels very rigid at this point like I'm used to. The shell came out a little rougher than the first, but this one I think has a much better chance of success.

Here's some of the spiking near the bottom. Didn't quite cover it, just like I thought.

IMG_0638%5B1%5D.JPG

IMG_0639%5B1%5D.JPG

Here are the two shells, finally done. They both, amazingly, still fit their mortars quite well. Each of them weighs about 500g and is lifted with 30g of hot -4+8 mesh ERC 2FA.

IMG_0660.JPG

IMG_0666.JPG

IMG_0995%5B1%5D.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.