APC Forum

Searching for all the posts of a member

Sulphurstan

As usual, when I start a new topic, I think to myself "does the answer hides somewhere within this forum?", "haven't I read the threads thoroughly?"

I'm trying to find some posts from a member, about a certain topic. I coudln't find the posts I was looking for with the search tools?

Did I missed something?

A member told me to look into the posts of this other member...

Not wanting to sound stupid, but I'm maybe not the only one who faced this problem of looking for information, and not founding it, even you know IT IS somewhere here inside this forum.

Is there a hidden button somewhere, a hidden square to tick off, while you're searching?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Go to the 'members' tab. Select the letter of the alphabet which begins their name, then scroll through the pages of members until you find that one.

Over at the right end of the member's 'list entry' you'll find four buttons. One of them is "find content". That does it.

Lloyd

There's no perfect way to do it. It should be noted that the search function is limited to 200 total results. For a lot of people this will catch a good chunk of their posts. For more prolific posters like me, you get maybe a couple of months. :) Also, as an aside, the find content button is also available if you click on a members user name and go to the profile page type thing. This is useful if you see them around frequently. I find the member list sorta clunky to use. You can also just type their name into the search bar and change the results to members instead of forums.

The most powerful way to search is the advanced search option. It's not quite hidden, but it's not exactly obvious. Next to the search box near the top of the forum, there is a little icon next to it that looks like a gear. This takes you to the advanced search function. I also included the link below. It just allows you to do more refined searches or better filtering. So you can for instance find all posts by DavidF about his supermilling of charcoal by typing in his user name and an appropriate topic or keyword. You can filter by date, which sub-forum, etc. It's actually pretty good at finding what you need. One hint however. Change the "Display results" button to "as posts" instead of "as topics list". You get a little preview of the post content which makes finding what you're looking for a bit easier.

You can just type in a users name in the author field and do it this way. I personally prefer the advanced search over the find content option only because I can make it show results as posts instead of topics. The find content button is also limited to 1 years worth of posts for some reason.

http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&search_in=forums

Heh heh, that's funny Lloyd :) How the heck...?

I've gone through as much of my own past blabbery as I can stand to read (and the search function can supply). I found a lot of my stuff, but I can't seem to find where I baseball-tested screen-mixed BPs from various charcoals, all milled with with 5/16 S.S. media. The big talk was easy to find- the numbers, not so easy ;)

I regret my lack of continuity in reporting things sometimes.

Heh heh, that's funny Lloyd :) How the heck...?

I've gone through as much of my own past blabbery as I can stand to read (and the search function can supply). I found a lot of my stuff, but I can't seem to find where I baseball-tested screen-mixed BPs from various charcoals, all milled with with 5/16 S.S. media. The big talk was easy to find- the numbers, not so easy ;)

I regret my lack of continuity in reporting things sometimes.

Do you mean this one? http://www.amateurpyro.com/forums/topic/3861-ball-milling-faq/?p=164784

Search for "milling" by DavidF was in the 6th return.

Thanks Otto, but that's not the one I was thinking of. As I recall, there was an earlier round of tests I made with charcoals from different woods, including balsa and sumac.