APC Forum

Sieving dextrin with chlorates?

MasterBlaster

While reading up on chlorates I found this -"Never rub dextrin with chlorate through the sieve."- Its on a page about H3 on pyrodata.com

I tried a search and couldn't find anything about it so I was hoping someone could elaborate on why this is?

Thanks,

Chlorates make sensitive mixtures. rubbing can be enough to initiate it in some mixes.

1/ sieve the chlorate, remove or break the lumps.

2/ sieve each other ingredient, each separately, remove or crush all lumps.

3/ sieve the mixture through together a few times to mix it. -it should just flow through the sieve if the ingredients are fine enough.

Have a complete set of tools for chlorates and chlorate mixes. never use BP tools for chlorates.

UK regulation used to require a completely separate shed for chlorate work -nothing shared with other sheds.

Ok thanks, so just to be clear its just general sensitivity and doesn't actually have anything to do with dextrin specifically?

Dextrin is a fuel so that may be why the warning was issued.

Dextrin is a minor fraction of the fuel in H3. I know of no safety reasons why dextrin should not be screened with H3 or chlorates in general. Does Pyrodata.com have a lot of the information from the older "pyrosource" resource? If so, I suspect it's just carry over suspect information from that.

Ok thanks a lot, I was hoping that was the case. The only reference they have listed is Shizimu and he doesn't say anything about it, or even SGRS.

Dextrin or SGRS is in almost every single chlorate star composition, so I would assume any incompatibility issues would have been mentioned by now if they existed.

The one binder that does have a potential issue is gum arabic. It's usually applied as a solution, which can go sour or become acidic over time. This can cause an issue and render the composition more sensitive or have other issues if used. If freshly prepared I believe it is fine though.

So another question, I understand the appeal of having separate tooling for chlorates in a commercial setting, but is it really necessary in small scale at home type stuff? I've been reading more about how chlorates may have gotten a bad rap and all the reasons for that so is using the same tooling just asking for trouble or can it be done safely?

Chlorates make sensitive mixes, that's why it's used in first fire products (igniters etc). Chlorates also have some specific incompatibilities principally sulphur but several others exist.

The risk of incompatibility problems is inversely proportional to your housekeeping skills.BUT you cannot ever clean sieve meshes and mills ( INC media), so you only share tools that you can and do clean perfectly.

Ok thanks, A mill jar and media I understand and what you say about screens too, ill save the sharing to my star pumps and the like then only.