pyrogenius007

Hi,

I had recently made some red colored stars with the following proportions

Strontium Nitrate 20

Magnesium 30

Potassium Chlorate 30

PVC 18

Lamp Black 2

The original composition consisted of Potassium Perchlorate but since I did not have it I used Chlorate instead, I added THF to the mixture which dissolved the PVC and acted as a binder. The stars gave out a dark pink color instead of red, will the addition of some Strontium Carbonate deepen the color ? or can the percentage of Strontium Nitrate be reduced and the balance quantity be filled with Strontium Carbonate ? Any suggestions please ?

Just replace the potassium perchlorate (or chlorate in your case) with more strontium nitrate. That is:

Sr(NO3)2 50

Magnesium 30

PVC 18

Lampblack 2

THF to bind.

Bob

Given the high intensity of the light, you may also want to ensure that you're viewing the stars from far away or look at the light reflected off of some surface.

I also agree with bobd on his suggestion. Some perchlorate or chlorate can help smooth the burn or improve critical wind velocity, but 30% seems like it's diluting the potential effect. If you look into something like Independence Red (there are a few different formulas), you can find some formulas very similar to the one just mentioned.

EC, take a welding glove, place the star with a bit of black match tucked under it in your palm and light. As soon as the star lights toss it in the air! It gives you a sense of the star's performance in flight and it is FUN!

What about this one?Home » Red Star, Hardt #2, Table 15-9

Red Star, Hardt #2, Table 15-9
Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version
CATEGORIES:
Star
Chemical Percent/Parts Amount
Potassium chlorate 0.630
Strontium Carbonate 0.180
Red gum 0.140
Dextrin 0.050
Total
Edited by dynomike1

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely agree with bobd, replacing the KClO3 with more Sr(NO3)2 would result in better color, but there is one minor downside to that. Strontium Nitrate can be quite hygroscopic (absorbs moisture) if not worked with correctly, but I personally haven't had any problems with my Sr(NO3)2 yet, so I wouldn't to be worried about that. Plus, you weren't binding with something water soluble like Dextrin or SGRS, so the stars should be fine. My personal favorite Strontium Nitrate red is one of the Independence Reds that Mumbles had mentioned, although you used Magnesium, not Magnalium (used here) :

Strontium Nitrate 53%

Magnalium 19%

Parlon 17%

Red Gum 11%

NOTE: This is a modified version by Ned Gorski.