APC Forum

Noob question about screens

sgtbiker

I have been reading all about making proy and everything I have read said to start with making my own BP. So I ordered my Chema from sky lighter and I have one question can I use aluminum window screen to mix my Chems with without blowing my self up

Oxidizers will eat up the aluminum in a short time. If you can't make or purchase stainless screens I'd use a stainless kitchen strainer. Try and find one between 20 and 40 mesh.

If you're trying to make hot or fast black powder, the commercial airfloat charcoal that Skylighter sells will probably not do the trick. Just a common issue many people tend to have when starting out.

I will admit, I never had an issue with my aluminum screens though they didn't get much use. You do need to be diligent about washing them after use though. Stainless is ideal. Industrial supply houses like McMaster-Carr and Grainger tend to be good sources at pretty good prices for the screen material itself. Normal kitchen sieves are usually 12-16 mesh. The fine screens are 30ish if I recall correctly. Splatter screens can also be a good source for a tighter mesh. Both have their uses.

Thanks guys I have picked up a few different mesh sizes at Walmart. Ok another question what would be the most common size mesh screens would I need to start out with? I plan on just starting out building simple fountains with some color and crackle added

Sarge,

4,8,10,20,30,40, and maybe 60.

That'll get you through almost anything you really need screens for. Eventually, you'll want 4,12, and maybe one seldom-used 100-mesh.

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd guess I'll hit up McMaster Carr when I get back to work

Caleb sells the bucket screens which are danged handy. I use mine for classifying BP since you can stack them on a bucket and do it all in one fell swoop.

I have 3,6,12,30 and 60. 3 mesh is used for granulating BP & Polverone. The 6 & 12 for grading it. -3 + 6 is coarse powder, -6 +12 is medium powder, -12 is fines. 30 mesh is what I use to screen mix all of my comps. And the 60 mesh pretty much never gets used.

You don't necessarily need to get/have every screen listed by everyone right away. You can build up your collection, as you have a need for them.

I have a 4, 20, 40 and i mainly use the 4 and 20. All i make is BP and stars.

I had a similar set to what Carbon796 described, plus a 16 mesh. I used it in my grading process. The one thing I liked my 60 mesh for was screening colored comps. It gets rid of coarse bits of parlon and red gum, which otherwise I find distracting in stars.

Get what you think you'll need, and you can always expand later.

I'll admit I went overboard on screens but in my defense MC had a special! I have 3&4 mesh welded screens for star cutting, 4,6,8,10, 20, 30 ,60, 80 and 100 in 12x12 framed screens. I got all last year for under $80 but of course I had to frame them. I have the green bucket screens in addition that I got a good deal on from a fellow pyro. I figured I'd never use the 80 and 100 mesh ones but they are very handy for screening charcoal and phenolic resin.

I also bought a complete set of star sizing screens though I don't have a star roller yet. Starting to think I'm a screen whore in addition to other vices ie; string, paper,fuse and MgAl!

• Like 1

Yeah Patrick, I remember you beating me to the punch on those sizing screens! That was a good deal.

Yeah Patrick, I remember you beating me to the punch on those sizing screens! That was a good deal.

Yeah, I'd priced some of them beforehand and now it's kicked me in the butt to try my hand at building a roller and making some stars!

I get nice 'assortments' from McMaster-Carr. I don't know where you are, but McMaster is in the US.

They're just 12" squares of screen. You must frame them yourself.

Lloyd

I get nice 'assortments' from McMaster-Carr. I don't know where you are, but McMaster is in the US.

They're just 12" squares of screen. You must frame them yourself.

Lloyd

Holy cow! what a website thanks lloyd

MC has possibly the fastest shipping of anyone other than Amazon.

Another vote here for McMaster Carr. That place can't be beat. Most of the tools I have for pyro (including the big ball mill designed by Ned G. ) came from McMaster. Great prices, great quality, and lightning fast shipping.

I remember Lloyd's fascination once when I mentioned having a 400 mesh, lol. Low and behold I have two now. Not by design they both came with sets of other screens, but I don't complain they've come in slightly handy so far to answer some curiousities. Some other odd balls I have many don't mess with are 120, 200, 230, 270, and 325.

• 1 month later...
I was going to suggest he go watch Fireworking 101 but I think it'd be a waste.

i started out with 4, 8, 12,20, and 40 mesh from McMaster Carr.....thats all ive need so far...it will get everything done that needs done

For most pyro purposes you can simply use a domestic sieve from a kitchen shop. As your hobby progresses you may like lots of mesh sizes and all in stainless steel. I once bought some smaller mesh squares and pressed them into the cut out bottom of a kitchen storage container using a soldering iron. Easily makes a stacking set of sieves with a top lid and fines catch level (solid, not mesh).

There is a scale of mesh cuts for final BP grading -with some odd numbers. Also sometimes really fine meshes are useful especially with small stars.