APC Forum

The magical effect of cast iron sparks

kleberrios

This is my old cast iron spark foutain smokless compositons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeBscdXQmkU

Here 30s Gold spark fountain smokeless magic composition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJFynd-jmHM

Edited by kleberrios
  • Like 4

I like it! :)

Very nice.

Do you guys know any technique to use cast iron particles with ordinary BP?
Many people including me do not have access to smokeless powder.

I once tried some rather coarse iron particles in a BP fountain and it worked out very nice, only I fired it the same day and did not conduct any tests concerning the shelf life.

And I dare to say it cant be too long ;)

Or can it...? Stored absolutely dry?

• Like 1

I coat my cast iron turnings with paraffin to keep them from oxidizing and have stored gerbs for 6 months without problem. I heat the turnings in an iron dutch oven and then drop in some wax and stir until I'm pretty sure it's all coated then spread it on paper and rake it around to stop any clumping.

Very nice.

Do you guys know any technique to use cast iron particles with ordinary BP?

Many people including me do not have access to smokeless powder.

I once tried some rather coarse iron particles in a BP fountain and it worked out very nice, only I fired it the same day and did not conduct any tests concerning the shelf life.

And I dare to say it cant be too long ;)

Or can it...? Stored absolutely dry?

Is there a formula you know of for these fountains? I do have smokeless powders.

I coat my cast iron turnings with paraffin to keep them from oxidizing and have stored gerbs for 6 months without problem. I heat the turnings in an iron dutch oven and then drop in some wax and stir until I'm pretty sure it's all coated then spread it on paper and rake it around to stop any clumping.

I imagine this to create a rather thick coating...?

Does the wax have an effect on the sparking behavior? It will keep the iron cool for some time until it's burned/vaporised, that's for sure.

I imagine this to create a rather thick coating...?

Does the wax have an effect on the sparking behavior? It will keep the iron cool for some time until it's burned/vaporised, that's for sure.

No, it's a thin coating and I've noticed no adverse effect on the sparks since the wax vaporizes at a much lower temp than that required for the metal to burn. I use about a 2-1/2" square block for an 18x 6 inch round iron kettle for treating and stir it a lot insuring all the metal is coated. I have a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff that's been stored over a year with no signs of oxidization.

I should also add that I pour the treated metal through a strainer while still hot to drain off excess wax. It only takes a microscopically thin coating to protect it from air and oxidizers!

Edited by OldMarine

I'm searching for a formula for this effect. I've PM'ed Lloyd since close proximity is one of his specialties.

iron melted spark show in China

Edited by kleberrios

I would assume they're similar to the silver versions, which use titanium. If so, the formula is simple. 80-90% NC, 10-20% metal. The ones designed for birthday cakes and stuff use pure NC, not double base from what I've seen but I don't claim to be an expert.

I've noticed no adverse effect on the sparks since the wax vaporizes at a much lower temp than that required for the metal to burn

I didnt mean in your kettle but in the BP flame. The wax will cool the iron and keep it at its boiling point until its gone, thus creating a delay or at least an ignition hindrance.

It might ;)

But your fountains still spark?

No adverse effect in the device at all. The coating is microscopic and is vaporized instantly. A BP based gerb has no ignition problems and I use KP burst as a prime increment on colored comps because some use AP and wouldn't play well with BP so those light easily as well. You also have to remember that the metal is less than 25% max of the comp so it can't hinder ignition much anyway.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi mabuse00,

You may consider preserving cast iron particles as I do for my fountains. It's very cheap & easy. I put them in an air-tight container & sprinkle kerosene oil. Put the lid on and stir well. Add that much of kerosene when you feel all the granules are well coated. Stir well again. Put the lid on tightly.

Before adding to compositions spread them on an aluminium foil under the sun, and the oil will evaporate. You're worry free for 6-7months atleast.

Simple, isn't it.

Regards,

SKC

Edited by SKC

• 2 weeks later...