APC Forum

NYE compilation 3-6'' shell's + rocket headers

ExplosiveCoek

Thanks, I really focused on hard, strong breaks this time. It required a lot of testing and repriming of stars before.

I used MCRH 1:5 with assisted Apertura flash on almost all breaks, one of the 5'' had 7/3 in it. Apertura is more forgiving, but requires more pasting than other flash boosters.

3'' 6 g 6 layers pasting

4'' 8 g 6 layers

5'' 12 g of 7/3, 4 layers pasting. Others 16-18 g apertura, 8 layers pasting. I'm still convinced that by using 7/3 I can use less pasting, which is something I prefer. Based on this vid, and previous results, it should be doable. But still need some more tests.

6 the big orange + FeTi willow had 8 layers pasting, the white willow 10 layers. Both had 30 g apertura. I don't know why the white willow's break was so ugly, maybe I didn't fill it properly with MCRH and the stars started to shift a bit. Previous shell's made with these stars performed much better.

I used different kind of kraftpaper or gummed tape to finish the shell's, I was out of my regular kraft. I normally prefer using 80 g/m^2 kraft paper.

Looks like you are on the edge of making ghost shells.

Can you share white willow formula please??

@dynomike1, I've been thinking about them. Maybe it's doable in the bigger shell's, but for now I'll just leave them be.

@Fckimdead, thanks!

@Swapnilsutar, it's from Spanish PDF. But I exchanged the Ba(NO3)2 for KClO4.

White/Silver Willow
0.35 Potassium perchlorate
0.15 Barium nitrate
0.15 Aluminum, dark
0.10 Aluminum, atomized, 100
micron, 140-mesh
0.10 to 0.15 (depending on the
burn duration desired) Aluminum,
70-mesh
0.09 Red gum
0.04 Dextrin
0.01 Boric acid
1.00 to 1.05 T
I found that way it is easier to ignite, and also has high enough ignition temperature to get a good, white tail. The composition burns quite fast, this was the downside of exchanging the KClO4.
I used 250# atomized, GD Al, and some aluminium rough powder from a metalsaw line of a friend of mine to make this comp. I don't remember how much of the coarse aluminium I used, was 5-6 years ago that I made these stars I believe. The other 6'' was the willow + FeTi + Ti from the Spanish PDF.

• 10 months later...

The white glitter to blue one's is the Fe2O3 based Spanish glitter. Very nice and slow glitter with good hang-time.

There are also some golden streamers in there, they are BP + SrCO3 + Sb2S3 based. It's a composition from Mike Swisher I found once at Passfire.

Edited by ExplosiveCoek

I love that Spanish Glitter!