APC Forum

Making sodium nitrate

NeighborJ

Sulphur is sometimes used to treat horses feet, so maybe an equine supplies place will be able to fill your needs, otherwise it's available in huge heaps near petroleum refineries -it's removed from fuel to make low sulphur stuff. - take your own digger and truck!

Snicker, the sulfer comment was intended to be a joke about the coming zombie apocolypse. In all seriousness I would not try to make it from sulfates or any of the like. My older brother almost died from exposure to H2S on a drilling rig and I being involved in the natural gas processing industry am required to wear a H2S monitor. Knowing the risks well, it's an unacceptable one.

Diff, I've done some more research about your Nitre bed. It appears that there are some complex or multiple reactions involved in the processing of the bed. From what I understand lye is the reactive ingredient in the wood ash and not potassium carbonate. However KCO3 is produced and will react with a few types of nitrates if the KOH fails to complete the conversion of all the nitrates to KNO3. Urea is another contaminant which the KOH reacts with ultimately forming ammonia which will be released along with the ammonia from the NHNO3-KOH reaction.

sodium nitrate

80 g ammonium nitrate

40 g castic soda

add 40 ml water step back and let it work, when done add 60 ml more water stir. let sit for 10 minutes and filter. boil until almost dry. then put in the dryer

the 2nd formula I use is

80 g ammonium nitrate

140 ml water mixed and filtered over 84 grams of bicarb of soda. let sit for 20 minutes boil until almost dry .then put in the dry box . the formula calls for washing soda I subed the bicarb

when using for yellow stars I mix the two together 1 to 1 . I like the color better. I just made 4 batches of each. now in the dry box.