APC Forum

Fellow pyro's in TN

Fotia

Fotia, using the term "volunteers" concerning Tennessee anything has nothing to do with a sports team!

They borrowed the honorable name, too.

Lloyd

Tennessee is known as the Volunteer State due to the large number who signed up to fight in the War of 1812 and the Mexican War. In the latter, the Secretary of state asked for 2800 volunteers but had 30,000 sign up. It has nothing to do with orange and white helmets!

Yes, I know. Hence the reason for the smiley face. I was just trying to joke around (just don't call me a butternut). Again , I kid.

I honestly couldn't tell you anything about the TN seminar but as BOOphoenix said its most likely to train potential workers and those already working for them. I don't know the state requirements for TN but I know down in Florida as long as you pass the background check you Pyroshows will get you a license through ATF and as long as pyro shows feels you have enough experience they will give you your own shows to shoot. If you can get ahold of someone and attend the seminar like I said the company seems to always be looking for more people. There isn't really a set number of shows you need to work on either for them to allow you to run a show yourself it is case by case depending on your experience and their need.

Very cool. I'll have to contact them & put it on my calendar.

The state law here in TN to become a licensed shooter requires three shoots per discipline ( outdoor display, close prox, flame effect ) for each you want to apply for along with a test. You'll also get a background check I think. I haven't committed the rest to memory, but it's $300 per two years and renewing may be cheaper. You will be required to have an 8 hour continuing education class to keep the license current.

In state the lead shooter can sign off on shows out of state they want the AHJ to do so. I'm fighting this battle now as it looks like I have to go get my license soon. I want all three and am 1 show short on close prox ( fixing to cover that one though ) and one or two short on flame effects depending of if one guy will sign off within the state. Having done quite a few out of state oldly enough no one is showing much interest in helping with the information for the out of state shoots. So I'm gonna have to get with some licensed friends and have them do some shoots in to get my qualifications. The guys I'm currently shooting with if I get the flame effect I'll be the only one with that license.

So if you happen to start to shoot any shows with the intention of getting a license you may want to have a copy of this form with you when you go and work a site. Even if you're unsure go ahead and do it. I didn't have plans when I first started working commercial shows. It's taken them two year of nagging to get me to give in. We'll need licensed guys if this all works out anyway to be able to have any live materials at a site if I read the laws correctly. Even if we don't it'll be handy if you wanna pursue more of the shooting side.

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/commerce/attachments/FireworksOperatorApp.pdf

Correction to above fees: Looks like it's a $100 per or $200 max meaning one free if you get all three.

I should probably add don't plan to much on suplimemting your pyro funds shooting shows. Most of us do it more for the fun of it then the money.

I was asked earlier about further details of what the plan might be. So let's start some feedback on this.

My first idea is and will be the 25th for a date. I'm kind of thinking start around 10ish or so. Seems early doesn't it? I figured that would give us time to speak to each other a little before we sit down and start putting ideas on the table. Then we can have lunch and get down to business. That would allow for anyone who might not be able to make the earlier time to make it while letting us discuss some things and get people's wheels turning along with getting to know each other some.

The best I can tell only about half of the interested people have met anyone else who is interested. This scenario I would think would hopefully make things easier and provide some getting to know each other time before we have an official start. We have a few from other forums, a few who aren't active participants, and a few people I know and we've discussed doing this prior and never took the leap.

10 a.m. Nashville time? As I & a few others are 1 hour ahead.

Yes Fotia. 10am Nashville is what I was thinking. Which is 10 CMT. With the meet and greet part being first that would give you a 2 + hour window from east TN to arrive before we got down to the nitty gritty. I kind of feel since most of us don't know each other a little familiarity prior might increase the efficiency after lunch and allow those not planning to stay over night time to get back home at a respectable hour. Not that we have an ending time, but I'd guess we could only sit around talking just so much, lol,

Here's a pretty good read with some information that is pertinent to us. I don't have any details of either of the clubs mentioned in the article which makes me a little reluctant to post this. I don't wanna give anyone the impression I know or have any opinion over the events described. I have always heard good things about both groups. The important information is about forming a club and things to consider as a club.

http://pyrotechnicmagazine.com/?p=1317

Good article. I have seen this in clubs before, someone put a motion in and everyone votes for it, and dont have a clue what it is or how it would effect the club just to hurry up and get through. I finally got where i would make a motion for discussion, after i found out what was going on. Some of them didnt like it but i didnt care.

That is one concern I have. I know certain people have to oversee certain things, but I've seen the same in other venues. As Megadeath once said "you take a mortal man, & put him in control. Watch him become a god, watch people's heads 'a role.

I just wanna build pyro, & not have to worry about politics.

• Like 1

I'm well aware of that problem and hope we can fix me a way to skip that part with enough user involvement. If two or three have to do everything they'll have little choice but to guid things some unless gatherings are fruitful enough to fill in gaps.

Well, the larger open space I had a lead on fell threw it'll be under construction when we gather. So I've been offered conference rooms at the developers offices or if the weather is nice out a screened in pool house. The conference rooms may get a little crowded, but we'll likely have access to anything we might need like internet, conference phones, and maybe copiers. Their offices will,most likely be closed so we'll have privacy and can speak freely.

The conference location is at Meridian Cool Springs in Franklin, TN. It's on the opposite side of the interstate from Cool Springs Mall.

Patrick mentioned a possible option if he gets a chance to follow up on that it may serve better. Or if anyone else has a suggestion for this area toss it out there. I think all we need is parking and some privacy.

• Like 1

I'll try to call and check availability tomorrow and I have another lead I need to look into. I'll let you know asap.

What kind of $ we talking? No freeloader here.

I would like to test this location as it might could be a usual place for officers to meet when they meet in this area if we make it that far. The amenities sound like a nice perk. The price is something I can work with literally, lol.

I'm gonna get a list together of all of those that have expressed intrest in attending so I have a better idea of what the count is. I believe they said the conference room seats 15 so we shouldn't have much trouble getting twice that in there. There are also two conference rooms that join each other I believe. So if there is a common door we might have to have the speaker at the moment stand in the doorway to fit 60, lol.

It was my bright idea to kick this ball so it would roll so I feel obligated to take of this part if I can. The next round if this one goes well we can discuss at this one how we might approach a second round and any funding if need be. I'll be happy if people show up with there thinking caps on and we can keep the ball moving forwards.

I know of 4 that'll be here baring an emergency that prevents them from being there. 2 of those are licensed shooters in the state so there is some knowledge there to be gained. I would hope to have all that are interested show up, but suspect life will not cooperate well with that plan for some.

Aw heck I'm gonna go threw and get a count, brb with that shortly.

Quick run threw the comments and messages I've gotten I think we are at about 20 with a few possible extras.

Edited by Boophoenix

Glad to see some shooters came in.

I am only aware of one manufacturing facility in the state. Surely there are more, but I think it wise to get some ground work layer out before we inquire to them.

I'm trying to get an importer to show up who has had involvement with 1.3 and 1.4. If we can get this off the ground we may can get a state pyro lobiest involved as well threw someone people I know.

The most important thing this round I think will be trying to figure out a path we'd like to pursue as a group and try to get some existing club or past officers to attend that might could offer us some ideas and assistance. I'm going to inquire to a founder of an existing club to see if he might consider joining us for the gathering.

• 2 weeks later...

Counting down

• 2 weeks later...

:) :) :) Only 21 days left.

Edited by dynomike1

...and counting!

Just noticed Vol47 is from Tn as well and offered an invitation to attend.

Edited by OldMarine

He informed me he had spoken with you. Just trying to include everyone I can find!