APC Forum

how are these stars called?

klachner

hello,

recently i found this video of two shells:

and i wondered what stars were inside? Could anyone tell me one or more compositions with this effect? Edited by klachner

It can also be perchlorate based + aluminium. I like those better because they burn more bright and fierce than BP + Ti addition formulations.

White Flitter... KCLO4 - 50, Redgum - 10, MgAl (230) - 15, Aluminum (70 mesh) - 20, Dextrin - 4

• 3 weeks later...

Star type write gold stream?

It seems some kind of star with more than one composition, if you look well, two types of effects are appreciated. The first a common comet and then the crackeling effect.

There are two types of stars in each of those shells. One is a fairly ordinary gold glitter. The other is a 'dark primed' crackle core.

The glitter hides the faint trail of the primed crackle stars. Upon burn-out of their prime, you see the titanium-laced crackle perform as an outer petal.

It's a common combination of effects. We call that sort of crackle 'brocade crackle', and it's made simply by adding titanium to ordinary crackle composition, then processing it as you would normally for star cores.

Lloyd

• Like 1

There are two types of stars in each of those shells. One is a fairly ordinary gold glitter. The other is a 'dark primed' crackle core.

The glitter hides the faint trail of the primed crackle stars. Upon burn-out of their prime, you see the titanium-laced crackle perform as an outer petal.

It's a common combination of effects. We call that sort of crackle 'brocade crackle', and it's made simply by adding titanium to ordinary crackle composition, then processing it as you would normally for star cores.

Lloyd

I am pretty sure that only a type of stars were used which was a glittering composition rolled over some clustered crackle cores. The crackle stars appear just about at the finishing and on the same trajectory of glittering effect which is quite impossible if two different type of stars are used .

it's possible to do something like that using married comets? using paper tape for taking fire in one side of the comet?

Yep. But for commercial class-C shells, that's too much labor when it can be produced more simply.

A good Japanese shell would probably be done so...

Lloyd

sry for my ignorance sr Lloyd, what is "class-C shell" ?

Can roll or pressed tiger tail or glitter with crackle stars to similar this type effects

If you rolled the tiger tail using the crackle as a core it would work but tiger tail burns pretty fast. I wonder if it would burn out before the crackle had finished it's smolder phase and thereby leave a gap in the burst? I may try to press some 1/2" TT with crckle tomorrow if the weather permits.

Edited by OldMarine

Aspirina,

"Class-C" is a USA designation for "consumer shells" (as opposed to 'professional' shells).

Patrick... I don't think he means just a crackle particle, but a full-fledged "glittering crackle" star with TT rolled over it, so that you get TT with a finishing effect of multiple glittering crackles.

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd

Here in Spain we dont have consumer shells, they are banned for a long time, at least I with my 20 years of age I have never been able to buy them. For professional use only... :glare:

• 3 weeks later...

Def gold glitter with crackle cores! Or maybe a married comet with just one end of the uncover to get burned from one end to the opposite end with the crackle granules.

Just my 2 thoughts!