APC Forum

Zirconium 99.6% for sale

Atrey

Not trying to flame you, but I think you need to know that is conversion belongs in the Agora forum area. That is the area to sell things. :D But sense I am here- what is this chemical good for and what or where would one find formulas pertaining to its use?..................Thank you Pat

I have several ounces that were given to me and I have yet to find a use for it.

Actually just got an answer. Smokeless flash.

Edited by OldMarine

Zirconium is rarely available, so has few general uses. BUT special effects use it for bullet hits as it spontaneously explodes with sparks when fired from a paintball gun.

I did have some formulae for gasless delay comps using zirc and alloys

I would caution you, not to use that fine of particle size Zirconium, in a paintball gun, or anything else, hand held. That fine of a particle size Zirconium is simular to flash grade dark aluminum.

There is not much use for that fine of particle size Zirconium. From my understanding Zirconium, of that particle size, is sometimes used for e-match heads, because of ease of ignition, and the heat generated.

I prefer the much coarser sponge Zirconium, like 20 to 60 mesh. It can be used in aerial reports, simular to titanium. Zirconium is of much greater density, than Titanium, so the diameter of the spread of spark is greater. Its like throwing a rock, compared to a balled up piece of paper. It also has a blueish hue.

I have not seen large particle size sponge Zirconium, offered in a number of years.

I am sure Arthur overlooked, the particle size. I have the upmost application, for the sophistication of his advice and comments.

Edited by Zingy

Zingy, I've not had opportunity to acquire or use zirconium but I do use a supply of Ti-zirconium alloy in 325 mesh. I add it to some of my BP rocket motors (endburners) in quantitys up to 25% for a drastically enlarged and aggressive flame. It has proven to do this without any decrease in thrust. I've also added it to hot star primes to add a little extra heat. I've also used it in place of antimony trisulfide on glitter stars when I found my supply was gone but being sooo much heavier, I didn't find any advantage in the swap. I'd be interested in experimenting with the zirconium to see if it would have similar attributes.

What would be nice would be some formulas using zirconium and a few videos showing the effects. If someone could show some videos usage of zirconium I for one would find it interesting, thank you...............Pat

It seems to me in my few tests Zirconium Branches it's sparks a little more than Ti.

Patrick, hang onto that stash it'll come in handy one day for something better than flash. Be sure to keep it stored wet though. Aparently in the finer meshes it starts getting very pyrophoric.

NJ, any chance of getting the video uploaded to a streaming service like YouTube? My iPad can't view it as is? May I ask where you acquired you're Ti/Zr?

Sambo, I'm running slim of hobby funds at the moment, but wouldn't mind pitching in on it if you wouldn't mind sharing an Itsy bit?

Arthur, I'd like to hear more some time of some of the formulas. I researched the zirc hits and all the available info I could find indicates your statement to be correct, but I can't find confirmation. It would almost have to be super fine to get reactive I'd think in that scenario if at all. As the granular I've tinkered with shows zero signs of trying to react under any impacts I put it threw. So I was left with the conclusion there is something else at play in a zirc hit other than zirconium and hen scratch alone as the reports say. The visual effects look to be of decent mesh sized Zr. Do you have any input from actual experience?

Zingy, interesting! I've not noticed a blue hue yet in my limited tinkering. I'll have to keep an eye out for that. Thank ya.

What would be nice would be some formulas using zirconium and a few videos showing the effects. If someone could show some videos usage of zirconium I for one would find it interesting, thank you...............Pat

So I've been told.

That seemed more like Ti to me mumbles. It could be my poor access speed lowering the quality though.

This is a little more of what I saw in a couple of my tests with Zr. To be fair I've just done the flame test and tinkered with impact sensitivity. I've not incorporated any into any formulas.

Ti and Zr look essentially the same. Zirconium is denser, burns a bit longer, and is somewhat brighter. It's also more sensitive in compositions. Looking at them side by side they'd be difficult to tell apart. It's fun to experiment, but not worth 5-10x the price for not much different of an effect. Also, like titanium, I don't find it to very useful finer than 100 mesh.

As far as the original death star explosion you might be right. It seems it was titanium from a few reports I found, most notably the SFX coordinator on the movie. Someone from the pyro community once told me it was zirconium. Either he was mistaken, or I'm misremembering.

Thank ya Mumbles, that does sound like a fun experiment. I'll see if I have any Ti in the same mesh range and try to get a video. I was fortunate enough to be gifted some last Christmas by a fine fella. I wouldn't be aposed to purchasing it provided it served a good purpose though. I'm still extremely new to the art and lack your experience and knowledge so I'm stuck with tinkering and testing still.

Seems like and I may be wrong so don't shoot me from the star gun but doesn't Zr burn a fair bit hotter than Ti as well?

• Like 1

Thanks for all the videos showing the effects. NJ yours showed a lot in the amount in each rocket motor side by side that was good as well. As for the Death Star, whether it was Ti or Zr now I know why we should not build one in either of these metals. Note to self- must find a new building block material for Death Star. :P ................Pat

Patrick, I have a fairly diverse stash I've been collect for a couple of years. If I had to guess I probably have 10 to 12 various mesh sizes and some I need to classify myself a little tighter.
  • Like 1

Brad, I've got a big batch of 40-325 mesh spherical and that's why I asked. You've got a vibrating sieve don't you?

Brad, I didn't get a reply so I guess this offer is dead ?

I do have another source of zirconium i need to check on but will let you know if i get a response.

• 6 months later...

Hello all,

I don't suppose anyone has been able to find a U.K. Source of zirconium of a suitable mesh size for paintball spark "hits"? That's EXACTLY what I am looking to create for a special effects film shoot.

Hope you guys can help.

Tom

Edited by TomLauten