APC Forum

This noob here will make a Girandola for 2016/17

Ubehage

Sorry LLoyd i just saw a typographical error in my last post. I meant tubes not tubs.I just figured out that the one i bought uses 4oz rocket tubes. After i do the pressure and timing test then i got to figure out how to wire it up. When something happens to this one i am going torbillons. My end burner tooling is on the way.

Edited by dynomike1

Aw... Dyno... I was just havin' a little fun. I knew what you meant, or I wouldn't have told you what size TUBES I use!

(Now, we have to work on the spelling of "Tourbillions"...)<grin>

Lloyd

Dam spellcheck

I'm still fretting over the proper spelling of spollettes. I've seen it the way I just spelled it as well as spoolettes, spolettes and spollets. Spellcheck says I have it right but I may have "made" it right by clicking ADD TO DICTIONARY.

• Like 1

Please provide me with some corroborating evidence Councillor Sponenburgh! This is a touchy subject and we need surety to provide closure for the aggrieved party.

Pyrotechnica IX and XI, written by a guy who both reads and speaks both new and OLD Italian. (and Latin, and _some_ Greek, and French, and, and...)

Lloyd

Edited by lloyd

Good-E-Friggin good enough for me!

Dave..

Those are such nice frames.

Mike,

The difference between endburner and gerb spindles is the choke.

gerb spindles are 1/3 tube id
endburner spindles are 1/4 tube id

normally.

Oh man we could go one for days on spell checking and pronunciation. It's great to have the wiser people around. After a long day at 4F last year a few of us returned to the motel and I can't recall if I was discussing something or if it was just a lesson, but Lloyd corrected me on my useage.

Rarely conversing on some of the the chemicals and effect names I'll botch up there pronunciations more than a time or two. Crossette had me duped for a while. Especially since I had more than a few female friends who owned corsets.

Mike, back on topic. I hope I didn't mis the boat much as I see some end burn topics from Patrick. The slower thrust from them works better I do believe. Whistles have been used with Dola's but more for sound effect than thrust I think.

If you'll remind me I have some info from Mr Dola himself Tom Dimock I could let ya borrow if I can dig it up before Sat. I've got a fairly long list of things to get done for Sat and bring I hope all the reminders help.

Mr. Dimock posted a link to buy his book directly from him but I lost track of the thread.

BTW I added Kurt Medlin's tourbillion formula to the comp calculator on FW. That is a gorgeous tourbillion!

Edited by OldMarine

Mike, back on topic. I hope I didn't mis the boat much as I see some end burn topics from Patrick. The slower thrust from them works better I do believe. Whistles have been used with Dola's but more for sound effect than thrust I think.

A friend of mine used to make whistle girandolas. The videos don't do them justice. These things really howled. I had the pleasure of seeing several of them in person.

https://www.youtube.com/user/cplmac2/search?query=girandola

Jim M. from Heartland sure makes fun girandolas! He's a guy I sure wish I was closer to. His excitement and talent seem to be limitless.

Yea mum that was kinda what i was thinking. 8 whistle motors would be kinda annoying. Boo Lloyd forgets we are from Tn. not Flooredia. :rolleyes: :lol: The reason i asked Cabel is that seems like they could be used for either, even though i am not concerned with Gerbs at this time. Pat seems like i saw 1 that had Alcoa 120 in it, but i saw that to. I bet it wont be any cheaper than here. http://www.fireworksnews.com/Item/D8u and it will be on sale one day. I also found this video that after i study it , it will help alot.

Edited by dynomike1

August made a wonderful Dola that he displayed at Punisher.

Mike. Believe tha is Tom in his younger days. I could be mistaken. I was disappointed years ago after my so far only commercial flying experiance I had flown right near Tom and was hanging with a friend of his. Should have planned a little better. Not saying hanging out with Cobra for a few days wasn't a blast though.

The picture is close Lloyd, but we gotta have video!!!

With my no experience this is what i see. I see a lot of air resistance and it looks like all the motors are vertical. Maybe Lloyd will explain what i see and dont see.

First,

The styrofoam disk is actually a spoked wheel with about 66% open, so there's not nearly as much air resistance as there might appear to be. It is more than a cane frame, to be sure, but StyroCopter was an experiment... so the motors were sized and numbered accordingly.

Second,

It was intended to rise slowly -- I don't like the explosive launches of some (although the judges did, apparently!<grin>).

Third,

No... the motors were indeed angled, but only enough to sustain rotation after liftoff. There are small 'spinup' motors on there, too, mounted tangentially. It doesn't take much.

Fourth,

It flew according to plan, and the shell was - eh - OK, but not my best effort.

If I can find anyone with a vid from that far back, I'll snag a copy. I _think_ I have a video of the other one I test-launched during daylight hours.

Lloyd

Edited by lloyd

I new i didnt know what i was talking about. I agree i like to see them go slow.

Thanks

Edited by dynomike1

We dont speak much of them but you can use whistle (even the HOT stuff) in endburners to lift a dola. They do NOT whistle at all, they just produce thrust. I found out that I had to use NEPT tubes or hand rolled ones if carefully made, to hold the pressure the whistle makes.

I have seen some open tube whistle driven dolas but only one of them left the ground (pin) the others jsut screamed on the pin until the shells broke.

Maybe use a 50/50 mix of open/choked drivers? Lots of ways to skin...

https://youtu.be/inVdlyuCiEo

Edited by dagabu
  • Like 1

I Have a whistling serpent open choke that i put a stick on that i am going to lite tonight, if the wind lays some. I have had them upside down in a board and they didnt cato. 64- 32- 2 First cato i have had with an open choke whistle (20') could have been something i did wrong.

Edited by dynomike1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok Ubehage I got mine up, where's yours? I had a SE wind@9mph.

post-13371-0-01909900-1490317275_thumb.jpg

Edited by dynomike1
  • Like 1