APC Forum

kit visco machine

memo

I have over 1000ft of assorted visco yet I still want one of those machines! Yes, I'm a tech whore!

I hear ya Patrick, I'm kind of a fuse whore myself. I have 3 big ammo cans full of various visco, not to mention time fuse and quick match. But that machine still fascinates me. If/when I get one I have the feeling I'm gonna be burning fuse just to watch the machine make more. 😀

it is simple to run, i takes some time threading in 26 rolls , that will do a lot of yards. I have run a 100 yards or so . that hardly put a dent in the rolls. I have had no problems with the machine. I don't like the polly thread. still waiting for some cotton. it was plug and go making visco on the first try. no jams. pura vida.

Yer can't wait to make my machine, just waiting for a few more bits and pieces to turn up and I am good.

You beauty, just unpacked an Australia post box and low n behold- a twiggy visco machine!!! Now to assemble it....!!!

Christmas came early to Australia. You must have been a very good boy this year. I'm counting on a big load of charcoal in my stocking this year. ╰(*´︶`*)╯.

only thing i did wrong putting it together is using hot glue. when i redid it it used wood glue and the hot glue to hold it in place.

I have to agree, while useful in some applications I really don't like hot glue for any structural connection. Wood glue or a thick CA would be my choice for a construction adhesive for a project like that.

Glad you were able to reglue the machine without major problems

That's the bonus, and the downside, to hot glue. It doesn't penetrate very well.

Keep the updates comming guys, I'm dying to get the bugs worked out so I can get one shipped here. 😀

I'm crossing my fingers and hope to get one to try early next year. It may be the best tool I've gotten since I recreated a blackmatch machine roughly 28 years ago. True excitement!

WSM B)

my main problem is the poly thread, it will leave big buggers of plastic that slows the flame down, i am getting 2 seconds a inch with a bigger flame. i think and hope when i get some cotton thread it will help. still using cedar mill dust bp. i have not tried remilling granulated powder yet. been very busy getting shells together for NYE.

memo

talking with twig , he uses remilled granulated bp. i thought i would give it a try

Does he remill back into an impalpable powder, or remill for a shorter period of time to essentially just make fine granules? You could buy fuse powder on the cheap in the US several years ago. It comes as a fine powder, though someone with more experience could give a better idea. It was proably meal D or finer, which is -50 mesh.

Fuse powder comes in all sorts of speeds. You can control the fuse speed by varying the ratio of nitrate, charcoal, and sulfur. IIRC, they tended to mostly have increased sulfur content. The speed was denoted by a number on the packaging. The product name would be Elephant fuse powder 116 or something like that. The number is burn speed in seconds per meter. I just thought I'd share this in case anyone comes across information for it in the literature or in searching, and perhaps as a new direction to find more industrial information.

• 4 weeks later...

No1, I'm so glad I jump onto the forum, as I literally have the frame pieced together about to glue and was about to plug in the - hot glue gun!!! No good then?!! Wood glue it will be!!!

For powder I'll either re-mill BP into free flowing mi dust or just make a new batch of gun mill.

be sure and paint it before you install the motors and board, much easier. you can guess how i know this.

memo

• 1 month later...
Hey everyone ,I'm keen as to get one as well, I sent you a pm twig introducing myself etc ,looking forward to hearing back ,love ya work