APC Forum

kit visco machine

memo

I got a box from oz the other day. finally I have my kit visco machine. it is all put together. had to go buy a power supply, my other ones are hooked up to my chlorate cell. next thing is to drive to town and buy a bunch of thread and give it a go. I will have visco for the years end.

memo

Cool what visco machine did you get, I received the visco machine Twignberry has been selling, just need to find some time to put it together. He packed it so nicely in indetcidual ziplock bags so should be easier enough once I sit down and fully read the instructions he made.

Is twignberry shipping them out now? Or are you guys testing the first units?

I think it's only to Australian people at the moment.

Ok thanks. I've been patiently( well mostly) waiting for those to be ready since I first saw it on here. What a cool machine. And for guys like you that can't get visco its a huge bonus

Edited for fat fingers hitting reply to soon

Edited by chuckufarley

Ok thanks. I've been patiently( well mostly) waiting for those to be ready since I first saw it on here. What a cool machine. And for guys like you that can't get visco its a huge bonus

Edited for fat fingers hitting reply to soon

Yer, sadly it's a bit hard to get any of that in Australia, along with some chemicals.

I received twigs machine, lots of parts and pieces. the pdf files and digital ref. manual make it a breeze to put together. but fat fingers will slow you down. everything is well thought out. it is really impressive. I don't know if it is ready for shipping I have been bugging twig since he first posted his machine on here.

attachicon.gifvisco machine.mp4here it is, first run making visco

Lovely, only problem I got with your setup is the wires. I have a major OCD problem with messy wires, I spent 2 days wiring in tail lights spotlights and 2 reversing lights. Wrapped everything up in conduit and run it the correct way around.. I am going to get some smaller conduit to run the wires on my visco machine when I get going.

Looks good memo. Where did you get the thread from? Twig said he just used sewing thread. I saw some 50/3 cotton thread on ebay, is that what you were using?

Looks like your using a PC power supply. Does it run off of 12vdc for everything, or does it need a 5vdc source for the board as well?

Thanks for posting the video. I love seeing that machine in action

I live in a small town, I was lucky to find 26 rolls of any kind of thread. cotton is hard to find. it is standard sewing tread. the visco machine runs off 12 dc that video was the first time with powder and the second time ever. 1st time I let the gears run in and adjusted them. I need to work on the bp now to get it right.

Finding a supplier of the largest reels of thread that will fit the machine is important. 100m of thread will probably (guessing here) make 30m of visco. which with the start up and slow down will not be much for a lot of work. Having 1000m reels of thread means that you may get 300 - 500m of visco from one setting up.

doing some burn test today. the first fuse is ok. I need more powder in the fuse. it burns a little weak. using ping pong balls to coat the outside. that really slowed the burn rate down. need more time to get the machine set up the way I want it. using hot bp mill dust. anyone have any ideas on what formula works best for making visco ?

memo

Is twig about??? Trying to contact him to arrange mine ASAP!!! I'll PM again

The easiest for me was hot BP, granulated and then remilled to powder. If you move the tracer threads out a bit more, you should get more powder in.

Screened H3 would be the next step up assuming you've got KCLO3. I had a slight speed increase but much more vigor.

Did you have to adjust your spin/feed rates much from the preloaded values?

Twig

I will give that a try on the powder and settings, I have not changed any values . I am running it fresh from the box. do you see anything that needs to be changed ?

doing some burn test today. the first fuse is ok. I need more powder in the fuse. it burns a little weak. using ping pong balls to coat the outside. that really slowed the burn rate down. need more time to get the machine set up the way I want it. using hot bp mill dust. anyone have any ideas on what formula works best for making visco ?

memo

I am thinking we well see the Best Yet to Come. As more visco machines fall into the hands of the commoners, the more formulas that work well, will be reinvented and shared. And if we are lucky maybe even a few effects that are new will emerge for just the reasons that someone want to try a new ideal to improve the hobby...........Pat

Any burn tests of your visco ?

did some burn test, moved the tracer threads out to the end and have a nice flame ball, constant burn at 2 .4 seconds and inch. the same as my 3/8s spoletts

Memo,

How does it work in general? Like the setup, and general operation of it. Is it hard to get fuse started, or keep a consistent product. Basically is it a real PITA to run or is it pretty simple

it is simple to run, i takes some time threading in 26 rolls , that will do a lot of yards. I have run a 100 yards or so . that hardly put a dent in the rolls. I have had no problems with the machine. I don't like the polly thread. still waiting for some cotton. it was plug and go making visco on the first try. no jams. pura vida.

Thanks Memo that's great to hear. Ive always liked the machine since the first take I saw a video on here. Its nice to here that it seems to work as well as it looks