APC Forum

Re-wetting BP to screen

Redrocketman

I'll make it quick, just screened a 0.5kg batch but didn't wet it enough, didn't bind and breaks up much too easily.

Are you able to carefully reduce to gun meal ( mill ) re wet and screen black powder without affecting dextrin binding qualities?

Dextrin can be reactivated SGRS cannot. It'll be fine, if it was dried fast then you may not need to re-mill it. If it is still damp then it may still be crumbly. Is the dex at least 4%? Any less only binds well if it has been pressed and corned.

Nope. According to my old gospel (old!!) weights are :

Kno3 : 74.6 Gm

Ch : 13.5 Gm

S: 11.9 Gm

DX: 1.5 Gm

Hmm that's 1.5%.....

I personally would use the 4%. Although lesser amounts will work your BP granules will suffer strength. The loss of speed versus strength of BP grain is minimal . I have taken and rewetted BP Meal from the ricing powder process/ or the fines from BP hulls

All turned out spot on. Added 2.5% dextrin to bring to 4.0%, re-wetted properly, screened and dried thoroughly. The best, cleanest burning, powerful BP I've yet made!! Nice strong granules
  • Like 1

Good job! 😎

Glad to see you got it dialed in

Edited by pyrojig

Thanks mate!!

I was going to say you can easily remill it and add more Dex but you got it solved :)

I recently had the same issue. Polverone ribbons were a bit too crumbly, even when fully dried. 2.5% dex and 20% water. An experienced pyro bud suggested I was shy on water.

Any thoughts on that assessment? I was told 15-18% water, but ended up at 20% before it held together well.

Next time, I'll bump up the dex a bit and see how it goes...just curious if anyone out there has an opinion on the water factor.

IMO the powder won't stick together well until I add at least 16% water but I wouldn't go over 18%. The dex needs to be 4% unless it's pressed or your making granulated rocket fuel. The few times I've exceeded 20% water I've found the kno3 started recrystalizing and the granuals stuck together as a large clump.
  • Like 1

Since polverone is more of a filler than burst, I'd go with 5% dextrin and the same amount of water you've been using. I tried 3% dex and mine was still too crumbly so I went back to the standard 5%.

Edit: NeighborJ beat me to the punch!

Edited by OldMarine

Guess I'm odd. I use 3% red gum and denatured alcohol to granulate powder - though I usually prefer to puck and corn using no binder. If making screen mixed polverone, I use 4% dex like folk have suggested.

Edited by Nessalco

There's a lot of bullshit, superstitions, and myths floating around about BP. The most important thing is to do what works for you. 2.5% dex should be sufficient if the dex is good. I normally use 5% though just to ensure rock hard granules. It's cheap anyway. To be honest I never measure the amount of water I add. I typically start at 20% straight water with a splash of alcohol and go from there. I suspect the charcoal source really is the biggest factor as to how much water you need. Some varieties are "thirstier" than others. The consistency is the important part. I wet it to a clay-like consistency, and I let the BP or polverone temper for about 15-20 min to ensure the dex is fully activated and the water is fully distributed. All said I probably add 22-25% water if I had to guess. If you use hot water for making polverone, you can use a little less, like 22-23%. Stirring and re-screening goes a long way to helping it not stick together and drying faster.

• Like 1