APC Forum

Swimming stars?

MondoMage

boy, your guess is as good as mine, i can see a lot of trial and error sorting that one out. if it works it would be cool

• 4 weeks later...

I tried to achieve that swimming effect by coating Shimizus 'Brilliant Core" formula with a comp that contained carbonates, (Shimizus KP Blue #1) in hopes that the burned out shell would provide some containment and produce the desired effect. They were nice, but didn't 'swim' like I'd hoped they would.

Video here:

Hi Memo they are rolled swimming stars, if I remember I rolled them to 10-12 mm, I published the yellow in AFN they are PVB bound, the trick is the delay prime that’s where you get the jetting effect from, I have got them to hum before, the video does not do them justice.

I like those. :)

I am a little perplexed that these swimmers travel in a straight line. All my go-getters and unsticked payload motors always corkscrew.

There was a gentleman at PGI this past Summer, in Laporte's trade show, who was selling, go-getter tooling and tubes. Instead of using a end cap, at the sealed end, of his go-getters, he used high temperature furnace paint.

I would imagine, high temperature furnace paint would work, for swimming star cores.

Edited by Zingy

Even a healthy multi-coat dose of regular Wal-Mart cheapy spray paint will inhibit them fairly well. BTDT. I eventually went to an application-specific engineered coating for my crossettes (which were NOT pasted-in), but this was for the purpose of processing time. Paint takes too long to dry in a high-volume commercial setting.

I'll bet any paint that leaves a thick, pigment-filled coat (mostly TiOx) on the stars would probably work. Heavy 'flat' enamels come to mind -- and they're available in spray cans.

Lloyd

• Like 1

Even a healthy multi-coat dose of regular Wal-Mart cheapy spray paint will inhibit them fairly well. BTDT. I eventually went to an application-specific engineered coating for my crossettes (which were NOT pasted-in), but this was for the purpose of processing time. Paint takes too long to dry in a high-volume commercial setting.

I'll bet any paint that leaves a thick, pigment-filled coat (mostly TiOx) on the stars would probably work. Heavy 'flat' enamels come to mind -- and they're available in spray cans.

Lloyd

Hey Lloyd, are you able to give us a starting point regarding the dip coating method for the crossettes?

PIANT GETS A LITTLE SPENDS clay is almost free, depends on the smell

I bet a thin coating of epoxy would set fast and work well as an inhibitor as long as it is cut with enough cabosil. Just a quick dip and cured in 5 minutes. It should be easy enough to roll other comps over it as well.

On another note, when memo made his getters he primed the stars before coating them with clay. I really don't see the purpose of doing this, they will be lit easily enough from the comp rolled over top. The inner comp is an aggressive burning fuel so it should be chosen from list of easily ignited comps.

Edited by NeighborJ

I bet a thin coating of epoxy would set fast and work well as an inhibitor as long as it is cut with enough cabosil. Just a quick dip and cured in 5 minutes. It should be easy enough to roll other comps over it as well.

On another note, when memo made his getters he primed the stars before coating them with clay. I really don't see the purpose of doing this, they will be lit easily enough from the comp rolled over top. The inner comp is an aggressive burning fuel so it should be chosen from list of easily ignited comps.

I get a pretty stiff pucker when I think about belt sanding a color comp (especially bright metal fueled types). A layer of 'black powder' would make me personally feel better about that.

• Like 1

Good point Cherry, I would think that method would be better suited for organic formulas. I'd think the prime layer could burn faster than the inner comp which could cause it to pop the shell. I have a hunch that it wouldn't benefit by using a metal fueled core because the extra light generated would be shielded by the shell. Most of the light needs to be emitted from its tail. I don't think I'd use a belt sander anyhow, I think a gentle stroke along a bastard file would remove the shell. Edited by NeighborJ

Maybe also worth a shot, to modify the process descibed in FAST for the white smoke streamer stars.

Take a deep frying strainer, make all stars one size, submerge them about 3/4 into wheat paste, let drip of for about 1 min, roll in gypsum and then prime.

The way using a hot cube core like 5 KNO3 3 dark AL, 2 Sulfur 1 Red Gum and covering works good and is easy.