APC Forum

Sulfates to nitrates?

Teachmesenpai

Just brushing up on my knowledge here, is it possible to do some kind of replacement reaction to swap out a sulfate substituant to a nitrate one?

It sounds like you want to use sulfates as oxidisers? I do know that shimizu wrote an article and gave a seminar on the possibility of using magnesium sulfate in salutes but I've never heard of anyone using the formula, it is very hygroscopic and also requires a lot more heat for ignition. I'm curious because it would be a lot safer to use than regular flash. With the extreme ignition temp I don't thing it would work as an oxidizer in stars or rockets.

Oh, sorry, just woke up, your looking for a sulfate double displacement reaction. What are you trying to make? There are numerous instructional videos on YouTube.

Edited by NeighborJ

Yeah that's kind of what direction I'm headed but more accurately I'm wondering: if it's possible to react a nitrate with a sulfate to switch the substituants much like you do with chlorides and nitrates? I have googled for some time now and still not cracked this nut, maybe im just not looking at the problem in the correct way?

Edit: sorry just saw your update :)

Edited by Teachmesenpai

I'm not really the person to ask but yes, you can use sulfates and nitrates in a double displacement reaction. It would help to know what nitrate you are trying to make then investigate what chems you have access to, there is always more than one way to skin a cat. It may even be necessary to perform several displacement reactions in order to attain the chems you are looking for.

You can do this reaction to produce potassium, sodium, or copper nitrate from their respective sulfates. Reacting any of these with calcium, strontium, or barium nitrate will precipitate the sulfate of calcium, strontium, or barium, and leave the desired nitrate in solution.

The only one of those that is really economically viable is the reaction of copper sulfate with calcium nitrate. Then again, copper nitrate doesn't really have any pyro uses though.

Thanks Mumbles, if I knew that I'd get into pyro later in life mabe I would have payed more attention in chemistry class, instead of giving my full attention to the girl sitting behind me.

Thanks for the info, that sounds like a nudge in the right direction, now i'm going to have a crack at identifying some available/usable nitrates to react with potassium sulfate

Thanks for the info, that sounds like a nudge in the right direction, now i'm going to have a crack at identifying some available/usable nitrates to react with potassium sulfate

Calcium nitrate solution plus potassium sulfate solution will drop out calcium sulfate and leave potassium nitrate solution.

The trick is balancing the reaction so it goes to completion without any of the starting materials left over. ;)

WSM B)

Yeah, and I use Ammonium nitrate and 98% Sulphuric acid. However this is for things that should be discussed in the HE section.

Are you doing this as a project for the sake of making things and enjoying the process, or are you mostly interested in obtaining the products, such as KNO3?

• Like 1

Sorry about that, I will post in the correct section in the future.

I'm actually not doing any prac at the present just doing some research to brush up the old highschool knowledge a bit before I go to uni ( I have had a multiple year gap year XD )

As far as I know where I live conducting this sort of prac is dodgey without having reason and/or license to do so.

Sorry about that, I will post in the correct section in the future.

I'm actually not doing any prac at the present just doing some research to brush up the old highschool knowledge a bit before I go to uni ( I have had a multiple year gap year XD )

As far as I know where I live conducting this sort of prac is dodgey without having reason and/or license to do so.

So, let's take this whole discussion to a more appropriate location.

WSM B)

I was not saying that you are talking about something in the wrong section, I was just saying that WHAT I MADE with Nitric acid is for the HE section :)

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest problem with the type of reaction your talking about is that, ideally you want the desired product to precipitate out after the reaction. Unfortunately, most nitrates are soluble whereas certain sulfates are insoluble. Of course you can always extract out your desired product by filtering out a precipitate and boiling off the water, but thats a lot more work than I would care to do :/

Edited by MadMat