APC Forum

A couple shells (testing)

braddsn

You will probably have trouble getting those salutes up as high as the shell with standard length guns. Longer guns will fire shells higher generally for an equal amount of lift. Conversely, I believe there to be a height limit or at least a point of diminishing returns for a given mortar length. If I'm following correctly, the shell of shells is going to be a 10" shell I believe. That will be up around 1000ish feet. Even with a heavy lift charge, I'd question whether you could get those salutes up past probably 500-600 feet or so.

Have you tried any test fits in a 10" casing to see if there's room for some salutes with the shells? I don't know if you have everything already made, but perhaps slightly smaller salutes would fit between the 3" shells. It sort of sounded like the casing isn't full yet. It's too bad you're not using cylinder shells or I'd tell you to just make double break inserts.

Yea cylinder would be easier, but i dont have a former that big, and i also have everything pre made for the ball shell. I guess i could cut back on the salutes to maybe 3-4. I guess i had it in my mind that i would be taking to much burst out of the shell for 5-6 salutes, or i have a bunch or 1/4" rubber fuse covers i guess you could call them with different fuse lengths left over from a timed report shell that i could probably use.That might look good and still get a couple of bigger salutes in there. They say you cant do this with plastic but i can. I am trying to build 70 shells + these two by the end of the month and not getting done. I had another setback today, something told me to try one of the nitrate strobe shells (RED) and it didnt light. I thought i tested everything after i primed them with fence post and BP with silicone. I cut one open and i guess i didn't get enough prime on them so i put more BP + silicone on them and now they are in the dehydrator. I appreciate your input. Let me see what i can put in there. To bad they dont have a program where you could design a shell and shoot on your computer.

Edited by dynomike1

Ok Chris I think i have it figured out. How does this sound? 1 Glitter 2sec. 9 RWB 3sec. Salutes 4 sec. Don't know how many salutes yet. Would like a bigger salute @ 5sec.

Why not try what I mentioned in post #22 for the larger salute? Also, if you do put a big boom on the end, be sure you give it an extra second or two to break the cadence of previous breaks, or previous sets of inserts in this case. I'd still recommend breaking the whole shell a few seconds early so all the inserts go up and out. Also gives you loads of time to hang that last report.

Yep break on the way up, i saw that in the video i just havent got that far yet. I am working on this a little bit at a time. I just got the RWB shells finished The salute is coming to. I am just now building 4" shells, still got 5's and 6"s to go.The 6 salutes are 1.25 X 4, so the last one will probably be a 4" ball dont know yet, canister my work better. Looks like about a 20 sec. delay.

Edited by dynomike1

• 2 weeks later...

It's almost ready to put together.Glitter in the center 1sec., 6Red, white, and blue 3 sec., small inserts 2 sec. 6 medium salutes 1.25X4-with 2 heavey teaspoons of 70/30+ MCRH 4sec.. Large salute? Dont know yet. Flight time 8sec. should break going up.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/dynomike1/20161222092830.jpg

Edited by dynomike1