APC Forum

Need help finding some willow charcoal

spectra1

Im looking to make some willow charcoal for some willow diadem stars but I'm in Phoenix and don't really have access to the raw material. Does anyone know where I can find some willow or would anyone be willing to sell me some willow charcoal? Any help would be appriciated.

Spectra, that is one comp I've never made but I do know that the name is misleading. That comp does not use willow, instead you should be looking for a charcoal with low reactivity. The faster coals will burn up too quick spoiling the effect. I'm not familiar with the possible woods available in your area but you are looking for a very hard slow burning wood such as oak or pine cones.

Willow charcoal is far too reactive to use in a slow burning streamer. You'd be better off with Hardwood charcoal like commercial airfloat.. I personally use cowboy brand charcoal from my local hardware store, 8# of charcoal for 6.50. Willow is more suited for blackpowder, like lift and burst.

Standard commercial mixed hardwood airfloat is best for most comps with maybe some Southern Yellow Pine for sparks.

Woods such as willow, Paulownia and Eastern Red Cedar are fast and are mainly used for rocket fuel and burst powders.

The "willow" referred to in star descriptions is based on the graceful, long, drooping trails of sparks the stars make mimicking the limbs of a willow tree.

Edited by OldMarine

In Britain the effects of long hanging trails of sparks are called willows and are usually made from pine charcoal, the pine being offcuts of builders 2 x 4s untreated wood.

Thanks everyone. I guess the name thew me off, I should have looked up the comp before posting. I have some commercial airflow but I also liked the idea of BBQ charcoal. As for hardwoods I have some leftover eucalyptus from a tree I cut down a few years ago, that stuff is some of the most dense wood I have seen, I think I'll make some charcoal out of it and see what it's like. Edited by spectra1

For a star with a trailing tail there are two parts to the comp, the matrix and the trail granules. The matrix holds things together for just long enough to ignite the trail then the matrix burns away and releases the trail granules to drift down and downwind. Search google for images of weeping willow trees -that's what your shell should look like, lots of falling sparkles that burn out 50ft above the parked cars!