APC Forum

My Sugar "Flutter Rockets" on the weekend

stix

Sometimes "Simplicity is it's own reward" - Sorry no video needed.

What I call "Flutter Rockets" are melted sugar wrapped around a cold rod to create a grain of fuel - blocked at one end. This is not new, but it does make for some simple rockets and a sense of harmless enjoyment :).

Attached to a lightweight stick, the so called rocket takes off with power and burns out at altitude, the remnants simply "flutter harmlessly" to the ground.

[EDIT] I know this "flutter Rocket" seems simple, but it does take some thought.

Edited by stix
  • Like 1

I've used this method myself stix, and it is indeed, a great way to whip up a simple rocket to entertain !!!

Did this some time back for a cousin, all I had to bring was some Pot.Nitrate... he supplied the sugar, frying pan and a few thin sticks !!! I used the water/dissolve method.

He was impressed !!!!!

Yeah, it's pretty easy to whip up. It's also nice not to have to worry about a nozzle or casing.

I wonder how big you could go? The ones I made did not include any burn rate enhancer like red iron oxide, so I would imagine you could include it on bigger ones.

I made one 500mm x 50mm with a 3/4" core. Must have had a void or crack, just went up in a MASSIVE ball of flame and smoke!!!

• Like 1

I made one 500mm x 50mm with a 3/4" core. Must have had a void or crack, just went up in a MASSIVE ball of flame and smoke!!!

My god I bet it did !!!!! That would have been about 1.4 kilos of fuel !!!! I am assuming you were not near it.....

I've only ever used about 20 grams.

That is HUGE!!!!!. Good for trying it out though. There is a point with scaling any motor configuration, ie. diminishing returns etc.

What I was getting at is the appeal of a simple "flutter rocket" where you don't have to concern yourself with a nozzle or casing. Attach a thin stick and the remanants (stick) simply "flutters" to the ground - no harm done.

The wonderful thing is that when you see it work, you do get an understanding about some basic forces at work - a revalation of sorts, nothing to do with math particularly, but simple observation.

btw. I'm talking about sugar-rockets, not easily doable with black powder because it burns too quick.

I've now successfully designed and fired my largest, and largest I've seen bar some in AER being my 'BETAIII' 52mm X 550mm K-748 running a conservative 19.5mm throat dia. Absolutely insane. Built 2, the 2nd having the complete nozzle assembly & end cap let go after driving the motor case 280mm into the ground after snapping the test stand mounts!!! Even Richard Nakka is impressed saying ' a successful firing of a large PVC motor such as yours is a significant accomplishment ' !!! Honoured is an understatement!! Have F - K class reliable with the I class particularly powerful ( almost scary!! ) with reliable delay grain BP department for all bar K 😊😊😊😊😆 oh, still to reduce throat & tweak core dia on the 50mm, then go from 4 to 6 grains, taking total motor length to 760mm @ 395psi!!! That will theoretically class among the largest in Aus, O being the largest PVC motor ever but i think it CATOED but testing will only tell, after finishing the 3 kit rockets and scratch build genuine HPR ( 2 - 3/4" X 6ft )

Sorry bout spelling I'm tired!!