APC Forum

Borex or Boric acid

sumagg27

Borex or Boric acid is simller or not.what is uses of borex in fireworks?.boric acid use to reduce the reaction between aluminium powder & water.Borex also do same?
  • Like 1

Borax is not the same as boric acid. Borax is actually sodium borate, or more accurately sodium tetraborate decahydrate.

I have heard of a treatment process that uses both borax and boric acid in solution to create aluminum oxide on the surface of aluminum. In effect, it's sort of a poor-man's way of anodizing aluminum. I have no idea how good of a surface is produced by this process though.

Edited by MadMat

Borax is pretty basic and does not have the buffering capacity of boric acid. I would not trust it to prevent reactions between aluminum and other materials like nitrates. It may actually make them more problematic.

You can create boric acid from borax though.

Thanks Mr.mumbles.but why some Indian pyro company mix borax to make there product?

It may be in the prime. Boron salts are prone to make a glassy dross that may assist in heat transfer to the main composition. At least that's the only justification I can think of at the moment.

WSM B)

Thanks Mr.mumbles.but why some Indian pyro company mix borax to make there product?

Where you heard? Or where you have seen?

If you have seen it on some products then it is actually fake content or they have given deceptively. No any Indian company uses borax in their formulations.

Dear,go fireworks market and see गुड़िया fireworks's(if available at your side) sparkles they describe at there box.

I had a hunch that you have seen it on Box...

No one uses borax it just a fake print on a box.

Why do they share theur secret???

This is the answer.

If you heat borax crystal it becomes popcorn like as the water of crystallization is removed by the heat. Borax being a sodium salt will ruin any color effect if supposed to be in that particular fireworks