APC Forum

Rolled stars with phenolic.. EXCELLENT results

braddsn

Thought I would share a breakthrough (for me) with you guys. As you have seen in my previous posts, I am doing a lot with phenolic. It has completely replaced redgum in my chemical arsenal, and I recently cut some charcoal stars using it as a binder. Well, a couple nights ago I decided to try my hand at rolling with it. I simply omitted dextrin from a color star comp, and since the comp called for redgum, I of course used phenolic as the replacement. I use the spritz and sprinkle method, and I used 91% isopropyl alcohol in my spray bottle. The stars came out perfect, and were rock hard in under 3 hours. Also, the stars were harder to crush than dex bound stars. In the summer, it is very humid where I live, and it takes FOREVER for dex bound stars to dry. Rolling with phenolic changes everything. I highly recommend trying this if you haven't. I see why the chinese do it.

Thanks Brad, now i can get some. I am almost out of Dex anyway.

Mike, you will like it. Your climate is the same as mine, when it's super humid and sticky, it takes FOREVER for some stars to dry. Especially ones containing strontium nitrate. Rolling with phenolic solves this problem!

http://yoursmiles.org/bsmile/fun/b0212.gif

Edited by dynomike1