APC Forum

Shell pasting

NeighborJ

not to worry my pasting machine will be on market very soon.I have a long list of wanters as the price anyone can afford.

• Like 1

You are interested in the approximate price of my shell pasting machine? I think about $ 1500-2000 full set, if you need a few it is accordingly cheaper

• 1 month later...

3d printing is changing everything.

Wow. pretty neat machine!

You are interested in the approximate price of my shell pasting machine? I think about $ 1500-2000 full set, if you need a few it is accordingly cheaper

I think that price range is outside what most of the hobbyists can, or are willing, to pay, and pretty much on par with a WASP system. I'm not saying one style is better then the other, yours is a self-contained system, the WASP needs a PC to be connected, and it's slower. But it IS a comparison a speculative buyer will make.

As Calebkessinger said, very neat. I cant wrap my head around how the paper roll on the outside makes it in to the shell. Cool.

I cant wrap my head around how the paper roll on the outside makes it in to the shell. Cool.

Perhaps PyroPractic is willing to explain/show how the paper tape feed is working?

Perhaps PyroPractic is willing to explain/show how the paper tape feed is working?

I did not quite understand what I mean.
The tape from the roll rolls onto the wheel and from the wheel to the very shell. And all this at the same time.

3d printing is changing everything.

Wow. pretty neat machine!

3d printing only for printing a belt drive, since I do not have a 3d printer

NJ i have a 12" ready for you to paste, i see it taking a couple of weeks for me to do it.

I'll take care of that shell for you Mike. Just send it on over. I don't want to hear any sh#t about the giant Steelers eemblem I'll put on it thou.

The tape from the roll rolls onto the wheel and from the wheel to the very shell. And all this at the same time.

The thing i cant wrap my head around is... For every revolution the ring does, one layer is added to both the shell, and the ring. After the first layer, i would think the friction alone should make the machine just tear the paper feed of at the shell, and then it would just wind up all the paper on the outer ring, and be done. This isn't happening. And i don't quite get why.

Anyway, good luck with it. It looks great, but you do seem to need to bolt it down. To something heavy. Both so it becomes easier to add, and remove the shell, and so it stops rocking about when working.

Are those metal parts? I figured it was 3d printed parts for everything that was the tan color. Sorry. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've had several more requests about a pasting video for this method so I made a demonstration video. Go easy on me, I'm not a good public speaker but I'll give it a go.

I left out some of the specifics to keep the video length short but it still ended up being 25 minutes long. If anyone still has questions I'll do my best to answer them.

Jason

NeighbourJ

Thank you a lot for this video, i watched already a couple of weeks ago.

I ll give it atry this week end, when i get my hemis...

In your vid, if i can remember, you said, that with this pasting method, you use only bp, and the breaks are ok.

I dont like to use flash, flash bags or whistle mix sprinkles... I'm more on bp coated rice hulls, my question is: do you use a very hot bp (willow charcoal, ball milled etc.) or a more common slower charcoal?

Thanx in advance for your answer.

• Like 1

Sulferstan, in that video I used 3" hemis with 2 1/2 FA grains made with red oak. So to answer your question, no, it wasn't a particularly hot charcoal. Smaller shells will still need a booster or a very hot BP and I use granulated BP up to 5" shells. Larger shells get the rice hulls but I don't make too many of those.

The only thing I do differently now is using gum tape instead of the cut roll of craft paper. The process itself hasn't changed and the breaks are identicle.

This was one of the shells from that batch.

Edited by NeighborJ

Neighbour,

This is exactly the video that made me think that BP breaks can be VERY nice!

Thank you for your answer, (and BTW, it is good to hear that it also works perfect with gummed tape, because that is already my initial plan!)

• 1 month later...

OK Phury, I've included the pics of a 3" shell pasting, hopefully these pics answer any questions.

If this method has a name and someone knows what it's called, can you let us know? Thanks.

When I click on the jpegs I get a message saying that I don't have access.

You should be able to see them now. You need one post first, try again

I'd repost the pics but they are on an old phone somewhere. They were precursors to the YouTube video posted above. The vid is long but it shows better the 3 ring continuous strip pasting method.

Neighbor J

I TRULY thank you for the video you made in Aug 2017 for hand pasting ball shells.

I just shot 3 2-inch ball shells pasted with your method, and it is the very first time that I'm FULLY satisfied with the break's geometry and size. Round shaped, loud and good stars ignition, and this with mcrh and a little pilverone. I definitely will use your method from now on. Love it 💖💖💖

• Like 1

Hello.

The winding machine wraps 15mm kraft balls with glue.

The tensioner is installed on the wheel , which allows you to wrap balls with the same kraft tension.

To fix the ball, use holders (crowns) for balls 2,3,4,5,6,8 "(6 pieces), with a length adjustment to change the diameter of the winding of one of the poles, if you use 2 fuses.

Watch this video

http://s1.radikale.ru/uploads/2018/4/8/5672851da94396cedf8884633625eda5-full.jpghttp://s1.radikale.ru/uploads/2018/4/8/8b6bc0fe60a6d093ee378dc81a8d6e4e-full.jpghttp://s1.radikale.ru/uploads/2018/4/8/4e1ba13d9b0f51d5a4e056496a0ec9d5-full.jpghttp://s1.radikale.ru/uploads/2018/4/8/cb732c949b9967b7ee8e4d9c64d17812-full.jpg

Edited by PyroPractic
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

i recently got into pyrotechnics/making my own fireworks, and i thought a great place to start was pasting my own shells. so i got some kraft paper from home depot( i think its #30 or #40) i realized later that ned gorski uses #70-couldn't find that kind. anyways i ran into some success but some difficulties, and i was wondering if someone could give me any tips/advice(answering my questions).

1) this is gonna sound kinda dumb but how would i ensure tautness/structural stability throughout the shell, i applied a little tension to the paper as i wrapped the shell. the final result doesn't seem very strong. anyone know any good vids or advice or pasting techniques? 2) i have tried elmers glue, wood glue and my own wheat paste(came out horrible). the Elmer's and wood glue worked pretty well but i would soon realize that it would become quite expensive. does anyone recommend any good adhesives or a good diy paste recipe? 3) i would eventually like to make my own aerial shells and salutes but this question keeps coming up..... should i buy tubes/shells or make my own. Thank You. -RocketMan1

Rocket Man.

1) For the shell pasting video, look for a video made in Aug 2017 by NeighborJ on this forum. I'm personally VERY satisfied with this technique, and use it with success. For other questions:

2) I use gummed tape or white glue dissolved in water with normal Kraft bands (depending what I just have at the moment), and both are ok for me. I'm generally generous with the wetness... Does that help to make the stuff strong? Don't know.

3) making or buying your hemis depends on how much you build/assemble in a year, and how much money you want to put into it. Bought hemis can be perfect, but costly. To make your own, some tools are needed (or you do it the old fashioned way, stacking glued newspaper, but takes horribly long time.

Edited by Sulphurstan
  • Like 1

I don't really mess with ball shells so I'll leave the pasting technique advice to others. The home depot paper you got is recycled so it will be much more fragile than using virgin paper, that's one consideration. You just want the paper to lie flat. The strength comes from the number of layers and the paper shrinking down as it dries. That's why you want it flat so there's no air pockets.

Wheat paste is the way to go, and dirt cheap. You can buy wheat paste powder or use wallpaper paste but I prefer to make my own because it costs almost nothing. Basic recipe is 6 cups water and one cup flour. Bring 5 cups of the water to a boil, mix the flour with the remaining cup of cold water. Mix well, no clumps. Add the cold mix to the hot. Boom. Paste. You can adjust how thick the paste is based on how long you cook it. Keep in mind that it will thicken considerably when it cools.

Making hemis is rarely cost effective, or easy to do well, but there's a solution. Build cylinder shells!

• Like 1