APC Forum

Arw

hey guys.

as I told you I was trying to make red pillbox star and i done.

i think about prime that whit sulfurless primer.for test i use H3 and it dosent work well.

when i thinking again i starting playing white them.i just roll 3or4 of them in a bucket and suddenly they starting to burn and fire move to other stars and .......

now I'm OK and I know chlorate composition is so danger and unstable even without sulfur.

that's my comp.

Lancaster's Red Pillbox Star, Page 92

64...Potassium Chlorate

19...Strontium Carbonate

13...Red Gum

04...Dextrin

my dear shimizu :-(

post-20636-0-95633800-1472811970_thumb.jpg

I can to save them

post-20636-0-53606500-1472812094_thumb.jpg

I'm ok cause I use my PPE and i never use dmn chlorate composition.

I'm curious what caused them to ignite. To my (admittedly inexperienced) eye it doesn't look like there was anything in there that should have induced a spontaneous reaction. Unless it was caused by the stars bumping into each other as you were rolling them around for priming.

I've heard that chlorate comps are sensitive, but are they that sensitive?

Yikes! I'm glad you're alright.

tnx bro :-)

I'm curious what caused them to ignite. To my (admittedly inexperienced) eye it doesn't look like there was anything in there that should have induced a spontaneous reaction. Unless it was caused by the stars bumping into each other as you were rolling them around for priming.

I've heard that chlorate comps are sensitive, but are they that sensitive?

Friction!

when they ignite they were dry and I'm not rolling them for priming.I'm just playing with them.

I think there is no reason but friction.

The composition shouldn't be that sensitive. The only thing that comes to mind is impure strontium carbonate causing the problems. Did you

by any chance use strontium carbonate sold in pottery/ceramics stores? It often contains sulfides. This would of course make any chlorate composition very sensitive

to both friction and pressure.

An easy way to check for sulfides is adding vinegar to a sample of your strontium carbonate. A smell of rotten eggs would confirm the presence sulfide-impurities.

The composition shouldn't be that sensitive. The only thing that comes to mind is impure strontium carbonate causing the problems. Did you

by any chance use strontium carbonate sold in pottery/ceramics stores? It often contains sulfides. This would of course make any chlorate composition very sensitive

to both friction and pressure.

An easy way to check for sulfides is adding vinegar to a sample of your strontium carbonate. A smell of rotten eggs would confirm the presence sulfide-impurities.

there is no sulfide.I am a chemist and I know that.

but maybe a little sulfur that come from anywhere was due.

and you must know all of chlorate composition is sensitive.All of them.