APC Forum

How to store finished compositions/stars?

AzoMittle

I searched the forums and google and found a few threads talking about storing chemicals but nothing on finished compositions.

I have a (regrettably) poor understanding of electricity and static (it's all black magic to me) but I know that plastics tend to collect static charges. What is the best way to store stars and such? Are ziploc baggies and re-purposed plastic jars okay or should I invest in special containers? If so, which?

What about rocket motors? Would dipping them in wax to seal them up be a good idea?

I would never, ever be so stupid as to store flash or whistle.

I keep my BP rocket motors in a large Ziploc bag with a desiccant pack. I keep chems and comps in HDPE containers. I don't make whistle mix but I would think it should be stored in an anti-static bag.

Ned Gorski recommends placing foil tape over rocket nozzles for storage. That and a clay bulkhead seals the rocket from moisture.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

For finished compositions, I guess most important is prevent moisture (like Oldmarine, I use zip lock with a small dessicant pack).

Some of them I keep in a big hdpe box with a Calcium Chloride batch, very much moisture absorbant!, once it is wet (it eventually will), dry in the oven, and use again!

Another thing for keeping the finished comps: out of reach of curious people.... (children are).

Personally I think the main thing is to prevent the ignition of one thing from spreading to the rest, at least for long enough for evacuation from the building.

HDPE buckets with snap on lids should be able to withstand stars bouncing off without immediately igniting the contents. Of course this does not provide unlimited protection, but I think it is much better than just ziplock bags.

Keep the lids secured shut, so the bucket can be thrown across the room by a small explosion without the contents coming out and contributing to an accident.

Each bucket can have several different types of stars or composition inside, in their own ziplock bags, or even paper bags.

I only bother with desiccant with things that I consider to be damaged by moisture, which is mostly Whistle for me, but also some AP + MgAl compositions, even though I use dichromate. I rarely use Mg, but desiccant would help here too

I'm loving my new containers. They are polypropylene and very durable. I was sorting through my chem stash just last night with them..

Got the top shelf sorted out. now on to the rest of the mess.

14796200805631657992333.jpg

The 32oz. jars nicely hold 1lb of finished stars or comp.
I just put a kilo of finished comets in the larger 64 oz jar.
I've got some more larger containers on order also. I'm gonna get this packrat nest cleaned up and organized so I can see what's in here. I really like being able to see how much is in the jars.

Azo. A lot of people store whistle just as any other comp. It's not gonna spontaneously go boom. You'll find buckets of it at any big pyro get together where people are making rockets.

Another idea: i usually store the fuels separately from the oxydizers (one shelf -calebkessinger like- for each). Theorically, that doesnt matter much, the jars are clean, right? But it is more like a "good practice".

Does somebody has some experience with storing crackling mictostars (the MgAl-bismuth comp)?

• Like 1

I use the shoe box sized snap top boxes lined wit a large Ziplock for most chems and tubs for most bulky items.

post-20116-0-54013300-1479681027_thumb.jpg

I store my crackle in LDPE containers that pretzels and nuts come in. As long as the crackle is devoid of remaining acetone it keeps great.

post-20116-0-49534000-1479681128_thumb.jpg

I'm fond of plastic or paper bags inside of HDPE 5 gallon buckets. There are smaller buckets as well (1-2.5 gal) that are convenient for compositions and supplies some make in bulk. They're convenient for stuff like lift, BP coated rice hulls, polverone, etc.

I can speak from experience that 5 gallon buckets with sturdy lids will survive a flash fire. By sturdy lid I mean something like a gamma seal, or one that's thicker with a gasket and long tabs that sort of snap on. Not something like this: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=102976&catid=686 They might be fine but I would be less confident in them.

post-20116-0-48823800-1479684427_thumb.jpgI love the screw top pool chem buckets. I add an o-ring seal to the lid and they are airtight.

• Like 1

Does somebody has some experience with storing crackling mictostars (the MgAl-bismuth comp)?

Sulphurstan, I do. I've stored some batches for over 5 years without them seeming to have deteriorated at all. I have not given them special treatment, just in a bag in a bucket.

• Like 1

Same here, I have had a large batch of bismuth/MgAl crackling stars in small plastic container for over a year now with no problems or change in performance at all.
  • Like 1

Same here, I have had a large batch of bismuth/MgAl crackling stars in small plastic container for over a year now with no problems or change in performance at all.

Sulphurstan, I do. I've stored some batches for over 5 years without them seeming to have deteriorated at all. I have not given them special treatment, just in a bag in a bucket.

Ok, thank you for this iexperience about the crackling stars storage

Can we get more pictures of people's storage? I can't be the only one who finds this interesting...

Can we get more pictures of people's storage? I can't be the only one who finds this interesting...

I'd have to tidy up a bit before I posted the other shelves in my shed. One still has some antique toys stored on it.

I'd have to tidy up a bit before I posted the other shelves in my shed. One still has some antique toys stored on it.

I'd have to wait for the ground to thaw/dig up some earth to even get in my shed to take a pic. Might try this coming weekend if it stays up in the low-mid 40's as Thursday and Friday are predicted.

Here's my storage of raw chemicals: fuels on top shelf, oxydizers on mid shelf, tools on the lower shelf. Finished comps are in a separate container a little away from these.

post-20858-0-54737200-1480279562_thumb.jpg

No pictures, but I used an old fridge (not working) with good door seals in the back of my shed. Freezer compartment for oxidisers. Fridge part for fuels, fuses for the stuff I'm currently using and tools. Then each chem in its own food grade plastic container. It keeps it nice and dry. Else I use 20 litre hdpe containers with rubber seals. Same thing.. fuels in one, oxidisers, metals, binders etc etc in their own bucket.

Looks like most of us have the same rules for storage: since we're still all here to talk about it, it must be more or less the good way! Safety first

Got a couple more pics of my little shop:

These are my frequently used chems/metals and screens

post-20116-0-36083200-1480549795_thumb.jpg

This is my fusing, pre-made mine pistons and precut tube section:

post-20116-0-31333800-1480549966_thumb.jpg

Om,

What are those big metal boxes on the lower shelf in the second pic?

Its nice to see someone else uses ammo cans too. I get them at work for free, I got a whole pile of them. I like to use them for all my fuse and plan on using them for finished comp/stars/bp...

Edited by chuckufarley

Chuck, those are actually antique airline food lockers. They were used back in the day to transport first class meals from the airport kitchen to the aircraft. Each box held 4 meals on TV dinner style trays. I got them free from a customer and only recently found out they are collectors items. One is from Chautauqua Airlines which was bought by the now defunct Republic, and the second is from Piedmont which is also gone. I made wooden trays to fit them and they make for great storage that can be converted to cash on E bay if need be!

I use 5lb cheese boxes to store Black match and spoolets in. Other stuff i use 2 gal. buckets, Zip lock and garbage bags.

chuckufarley been a long time since i heard that word. I bet you dont know the rest of the sentence or statement. Edited by dynomike1

"That box is rented to Mr. Charles U. Farley"

Pump Up The Volume!

• Like 1

Mike,

If its different from what OM said (or my name) in pretty sure I don't know the rest of the story.

Just picked up a bunch of wide mouth HDPE bottles from a local supplier. Building cabinets to fit them this weekend. Also have alot of nice food grade 5 Gallon buckets and deli containers. Ill try and post some pics when I get the cabinets built

Edited by chuckufarley