APC Forum

Red Phosphorus

3LEGGEDSQUIRREL

Should I have any problems storing Red Phosphorus long term. I think the ignition point is around 260C, so is ambient temprature in Texas ok?

RP? Texas? You are doomed if caught.

Due to WP impurities RP will slowly absorb water and the resulted phosphoric acid will turn it to a wet mud.

Accidental ignition is caused by rubbing mostly. Make sure you keep it away from oxidizers and you'll be fine.
I see you like shooting so don't even think about using it for exp targets, it is dangerous with almost any oxidizer (not just K chlorate).

• Like 1

No you shouldn't have any problems, so long as it is pure red phosphorus. If it contains white phosphorus it is useless anyway and needs to be cleaned.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the info guys. It is pure. I will store it in a cool dark place alone until needed

The way I understand it, the white phosphorus impurity that leads to the formation of the hygroscopic phosphorus pentoxide can be washed out with hot water. But if it isn't, and the stuff gets soggy and smells strongly over time- I would think it would be easier to rinse because of the great solubility of the pentoxide.

I would think that a couple or three rinses with hot water would make the old stuff more pure than when it was bought, if the old stuff got moist over time. I never understood it to be that the red phosphorus itself breaks down. If I am wrong, I sure would like to know about it, thanks!

Store it in a vacuum of you can else make sure it's in an air tight container like a paint can.. that will help improve its shelf life.. under vacuum almost indefinitely.

Dave the Pentoxide doesn't go into solution, it is the anhydride of the acid, and turns into the acid when it comes into contact with water. So make sure to test the ph of the waterafter rinsing.

What are the legality of red phosphorous? Is just having it illegal or having it with the intent to make meth illegal (there's a huge difference)?

Possession in its self is not illegal. Improper Sales and transposition is. Usage depends on the application.. knowing how law enforcement sometimes works they will try to slap anything on you and let the da sort it out.