APC Forum

Titanium-Zirconium alloy

NeighborJ

I have received a lb. of this titanium-zirconium alloy from the sky lighter store. I picked it last minute to raise my bill enough to qualify for their free perchlorate deal. Yes I know ....sucker. Anyway, I've tried using it in my 1# endburner to see what kind of effect it would create. I was pleased to discover that it made that motor roar off the pad like a core burner. It did for that endburner what RIO does for sugar rockets.

Has anyone else tried this stuff and not just for use as a hot prime like the add suggests? Any incompatibility issues?

Thanks.

From Skylighter, This is an alloy of Titanium, Zirconium, Copper and Nickel, percentages unknown.

They also don't list mesh size but it looks fairly fine in the photo.

Zirconium compositions have "extreme spark sensitivity " and "allows the flame temperature to rise to...5000°C" according to John Conkling and Chris Mocella's Chemistry of Pyrotechnics, 2nd edition page 181.

They didn't know the exact ratio but they also mentioned trace amounts of cu and nickle. I think it was so reactive because it is 200- 325 mesh. The nozzle ratio was 1_4 and it was near recline. I only used 6% alloy.

Please don't ram that alloy until you know exactly what it's sparking properties are, i'd be very cautious.

Don't worry Rambo, these ones got pressed. I needed one when I was making the 3,4and6# motors. It's been quicker hand ramming everything smaller ,so long as it doesn't have metal or whistle.

The rams just for bp. I just made a vid of 4 test motors on the same test rack. The motors range from (regular bp,6% alloy,12% alloy and 24% alloy. The 24% performed amazingly with a bright white flame nearly 3' in length. It did have significant nozzle erosion but it still had way more thrust than the bp. I feel stupid because I can't seem to figure out how to attach the clip.