APC Forum

End burner fuel ratio?

NeighborJ

I wouldn't classify this as a problem. I've been working on making drivers for a girandola and my motors are not up to my standard. They will work for their intended application but I have noticed a distinct crackle in the burn(caused by buildup of drost) ejecting from the nozzle. I would like to eliminate this issue before proceeding.

Motor specs: 1#,1-4 dia nozzle,10" length,75-15-10 staghorn sumac bp milled for 12 hrs, Hand rammed.

I know the Estes motors use a slightly different formula and they burn smooth and pleasing. I'm asking the forum which direction to take this? Different formula, different charcoal? IDK this is a small issue but I want it corrected.

Thanks

• Like 1

Just to get the obvious of out of the way. Your BP does burn quickly and cleanly out in the open, correct? A quick test I like is to burn some on a piece of white paper. It should burn quickly, no slag, and only lightly toast or char the paper. There should be no embers or smoldering paper.

Β 

Are you using a set of tooling to make the drivers? I ask because tooling that creates a convergent/divergent nozzle geometry can burn a little smoother than ones that are flat on both sides. It helps to prevent a turbulent flow.

• Like 1

I have homemade tooling w/ convergent 45 and divergent 15 ,the thought is approx 3/16" depending on how well I measure out the clay.

The bp is fast, it does not burn a napkin when lit from it. No slag left.

I am probably making something out of nothing. The chuffing is only 2 or3 times in an entire burn and the problem goes away after about 1/3 of the burn duration.

This leads me to believe the larger combustion chamber allows larger particles to completely combust. Possibly need more milling time?

Throat aprox 3/16 by 3/16.
  • Like 1

If the throat is only 3/16 long, what does the the throat measure after the motor is burnt?

Β 

The smaller the nozzle, the higher the pressure and the faster the burn. Lengthen the throat by X2 and see if the tube doesn't pop on you.

Β 

Also, shorten the increments in the fuel. The chuffing will go away if increment related.

OK I lengthened the nozzle bore to about 5/16 and had a much quicker takeoff. It had no chuffing at all and took a beautiful strait flight path, this thing went way up there and I lost it in orbit.

The increments were not changed on this test so the problem must have been the lack of sufficient combustion pressure. I'll need to make a new longer spindle in order to test if a longer nozzle that will gain any significant improvement.

I wanted to thank Dagabu for his insightful diagnosis of my endburner. I've done three more tests of different spindle designs and this data only reaffirms his suggestions.

Test #1 I've lengthened the spindle to achieve up to 1/2 in of throat length. This resulted in little or no improvement in thrust as I had already achieved a laminar flow with a 5/16 throat.

Test #2 I've fashioned a spindle with a longer divergent cone extending at a 15 degree angle for 1/2 in. This flew good but I scraped the spindle due to difficultys getting the nozzle to consolidate properly being an overall length of almost 1 1/2".

The third variation of the nozzle is the winner. It flew strait ,with the most thrust and best burn characteristics. The dimensions are as follows: divergent 15deg with a cone length of 5/16 in, throat dia 3/16 and a length of +5/16 to - 7/16, and a standard 45 deg divergent.

With these dimensions I believe I can now scale up or down to any size I wish.

Off to start building hoops for my girandola thanks yinz.😎

PGI is not in the cards for me this year , wife's car tires take financial priority over my hobby.😞 it's OK I have a fancy new motor to strap to my girandolaπŸ˜€