APC Forum

Aerial shells "San Juan 2016"

Aspirina

Hello all!

On June 23 in Spain the longest day and the shorter night of the year is celebrated, for this reason the streets are filled with shops which sell firecrackers.

This year instead of buying as usual I decided to do my fireworks, a total of 9 aerial shells 2 "and 3" multibreak two of them. I tested two new types of stars, white glitter and red stars. The first worked well but the second not so much... it is difficult for grip fire, although these are primed. The two multibreak failed ... they were quite spectacular.

How could I do to not fail? I fire it by the top and the method of construction is faithful to the original, you can see it in the photos of the process.

http://oi67.tinypic.com/1448w41.jpg

Process:

Video:

(They are not filmed all. Videos are by friends, forgive the cries were partying and drinking hahaha I waited to shoot my shells before drink :excl: )

In your video you have one shell that throws stars (glitter/red) during the lift. Was it supposed to do that? Else you had a flowerpot. The most likely result frim insuffient fire protection or a break that wasn't filled good enought. The breaks need to be rocksolid. Every void filled.

Also the black match you used between the breaks is to short. Use 2x 15 cm crossmatch and tie them together in front of the fuse, to make sure they are deep inside the the previous break. Better way is to use a spollete. For the passfire use 4-5 strands of black match, just to be failproof and insure highest fire transportation speed. If you choke the black match acciendetly during construction, the the strand can be slowed down and cause the first break tk explode inside the mortar. 4 Stands can't be choked down.

Then for the black match, use a sizing die to get a match that doesn't have such a rough surface.

But still I say that you have a couple very nice shells there, specially for the fact that you just started the hobby.

Hello schroedinger, the shell you're saying is the multibreak that exploded in mortar... It was built like the first one I did and it went well... I think the lift charge was too much powerful, I'm thinking of putting some protection in such shells. I will consider the advice of the black match.

Ty schroedinger

Edited by Aspirina

Which ones in the video were supposed to be multibreaks? I actually didn't see any besides the flower potted one. It will be easier to give constructive advice with something to look at.

The construction techniques looked okay in general.

Mumbles in the min 1:08 as schroedinger says you can see red stars shooting out of mortar

forgive the poor filming...