APC Forum

Material design and motor design for six foot rocket

pyro159

Ok, after some thought & serious discussion, I take back my statement re testing large motors in a chamber. Dadabu is correct in that if you cannot test your vessel, you can't prove it will take the punishment. I accept I may have been wrong in advising that, now knowing your skills and abilities.

Apologies. U only live once.

I mean ' not knowing' !!!!

• 1 year later...
Wow it's been a while. I decided to scrap the 6 foot rocket motor and right now I'm working on designing steel rocket nozzles. I can't believe I wanted to make a 3 inch rocket motor with pvc. Gotta say I was setting myself up for disaster. Right now I've made three separate rocket nozzles, two of them being made of steel and one out of aluminum. Go to my steel nozzles have been tested and works very well with the potassium nitrate and sugar Rocket motors I've attached to them. The next phase for me After figuring out how to make good nozzles is to start working with potassium nitrate and epoxy rocket fuel. After that I plan on going into the higher-powered rocket fuels. Not anytime soon though

post-20444-0-69570500-1503162323_thumb.jpg

Wow it has really been a while. I have to say i've improved immensely since last year. During this summer, i took the time to get a part-time job for the first time and while there, I earned over $1,300. With that I bought a 7x10 mini lathe, a metal cutting band saw, and some miscellaneous tools. As you can probably guess, I scrapped the 6 foot rocket idea a good while ago. Right now I'm designing and testing steel rocket nozzles. So far I've made two successful nozzles and tested them out with sugar rocket motors. I still haven't taken the time to do the math and figure out the nozzle bore size for each rocket motor as it has been pure estimation as of yet. I did some research while loitering in the locker room at school and discovered the instructions for the recipe of Potassium Nitrate and Epoxy. There are so many pros about using this fuel vs the usual R-Candy fuel. The biggest one I found was the fact that you don't have to cook the epoxy fuel one bit. I'm going to enjoy that. My question now is how big of a class of motor do y'all think I should make with this new fuel? I'd rather start small and work my way up. Also, is conduit piping a viable motor casing for this type of fuel? Oh and on top of all of that, what the heck do I call the kno3 and epoxy fuel? Is there a special name for it?

Richard Nakka describes his KNO3+Epoxy propellant as RNX.

http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/rnx_int.html

I'd probably call it KNX. Just come up with your own name, it's not important as there are no standards with experimental fuels that I'm aware of.

Richards site also has a great deal of other info that may interest you.

Edited by stix