APC Forum

R candy rockets, and ideas

Redrocketman

I have been making sugar rockets for a while now though still fairly new. Mainly larger nozzle-less Core-burners. Ratios 65/35 kno3 / Su. Proceeded adding 1% red iron oxide having no issues using recrystallisation method. Tho amazing, these are one shot wonders.

Have been flying Estes model rockets which are great, but expensive, so am designing my own PVC rocket. In saying that there seems to be great concern for using PVC for motor cases. I can't understand then why designs of the likes of well known YouTube tutorials use this material?? There are many j size motors shown on static tests.

I have tried a few dry rammed nozzled motors ( E45 size ) with mixed success, due to my own fault of using the same fuel with RIO added in these as I use in my large motors. But have only ever had plug blow-outs, never a case failure.

Wanting to build an r candy motor with ejection charge, ( as I don't want this 1 to be a one shot wonder!!), and on a reasonably limited budget, has anyone any ideas, as a screw in type motor seems logical, but also needs to be strong and light. I just can't understand why it is shown so regularly, especially when casting nozzles.

Ideas?? 😀🚀

Red,

I think that most of the push back about PVC casings is pointed to the pyrotechnic community and not the model rocketry arena. For a model rocket, I think PVC casings are wonderful as long as you have the proper setbacks. Pyro often use rockets at close proximity due to the use of visco fuse and often use fuels that can create pressure spikes well beyond the fuels that are used in model rocketry.

does anyone have any ideas on info or direction for plans on building an enclosed r candy motor with an ejection charge, using recrystallisation grains??

• 9 months later...
Hi redrocketman I don't know if you still view this sight or if you've found your way by now but I've actually been working on it and have just found some success. If you're still working on this, or want to get back to it, reply and I'd be happy to help/explain my methods.