APC Forum

Speed balls/Zippers/Zips

Mixer

I launched all of my #3 Zipps and only one CATOed, the nozzle was small and confined slightly. The remainder worked fine but the hole enlarged significantly and slowed the spin. I am thinking of pressing a clay "ring" for the nozzle to form above the spindle tip then lay in the delay.

I've finally managed to make a whistle powered zipper. I had hoped that the sound would be something unusual but in the end it sounded like a normal whistle and proved to be quite dangerous. They spinnup so quick that they don't turn strait up, then when they burn into the core they shoot off at light speed at a slanted angle. I don't think I will be trying this again.😬

I've finally managed to make a whistle powered zipper. I had hoped that the sound would be something unusual but in the end it sounded like a normal whistle and proved to be quite dangerous. They spinnup so quick that they don't turn strait up, then when they burn into the core they shoot off at light speed at a slanted angle. I don't think I will be trying this again.

If you want proper performance, it`s imperative that you follow the specifications in the Zipper tutorial. If you deviate from this you could get something that performs very differently. They are small for a reason.

I've made dozens of your design and they work good. But I eventually got bored so I started making them in all sizes then I started making them nozzleless which turned out to be almost foolproof. Honestly I'm not sure how you could get one of these things to screw up short of Cato once the nozzle is gone. So this has been a project I pick up once and awhile to try something different. I'm not confined to strict adherence to the original design. With each modification comes new and exciting hurtles to cross and I've rather enjoyed the journey.

Yup, gotta get back to working on those! How long was the tube?

They were 1" ID and about 5" long, whatever I had sitting in the tube bucket for end cuts. Even a 4" long one would work.

• 2 years later...

These things are sure fun, even without a salute or header.

• 7 months later...

Here is my cloned version:

34.7mm tall, 20mm x 3mm core, and I forget the exact tube ID... ~9mm I think

• Like 3

Here is my zinger diagram. Tube ID is 10.4 mm. Core width is 3 mm and does not taper at the top.

Zinger diagram

Edited by yvanblo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I still have half a 5 gallon bucket full of Zips from '16, no time to play with them this year as we have moved to a 40 acre homestead and I have yet to sell my old house. Ill keep this thread in mind and will update you on progress though. I may take some to Gillette with me next week to get some video for you all, though.

See you at PGI!

• 10 months later...

These things are sure fun, even without a salute or header.

I know this is an old thread but if you come across this. What fuel ratio did you use for this? I take it you used the same tooling I have "Stingers/Zips" unless it was different 2 years ago. Did you just drill in above the spindle with the guide? I've only used the tools for the stingers I have been making. Was curious as I wouldn't mind giving these a try if it's just drilling the vent in a different spot. I see you also left a fair amount of space at the top. Was this the 3.75" tubes?

If it's not to much trouble, Thanks!

I know this is an old thread but if you come across this. What fuel ratio did you use for this? I take it you used the same tooling I have "Stingers/Zips" unless it was different 2 years ago. Did you just drill in above the spindle with the guide? I've only used the tools for the stingers I have been making. Was curious as I wouldn't mind giving these a try if it's just drilling the vent in a different spot. I see you also left a fair amount of space at the top. Was this the 3.75" tubes?

If it's not to much trouble, Thanks!

Edit: Was this all thrust, or was there a delay? After looking back I notice 3#. Sorry I wasn't more thorough with my observations. Would you use the same principals if you were sizing down?