APC Forum

Pressure to Forge Gauge

dagabu

My PTOF has a 1sq inch piston so I can use it on any press using my pre-marked colored settings to press ¾-1" rockets without added math.

Noooo.... that and (if you must) a pocket calculator - and perhaps a sheet of paper upon which to write - are all you need.

What 'more stuff' are you thinking of?

Lloyd

For a jack conversion, you need the tools to dismantle the jack, which is no mean feat. A drill (pillar drill ideally), thread tap and very likely some high pressure fittings to put the gauge into a readable location. The alternative is a short bodied ram which is more expensive but a lot less work and you can use it on multiple presses :)

OH... I thought you were talking about an actual press, not one of those Horrible Fright imitations of one. My bad.

But I do have to ask -- how do you do 'general pyro' without simple hand tools? Dismantling an hydraulic jack is a "mean" feat (meaning, small). It's not difficult, at all. But I will defer, since the suggestion wasn't taken well. <grin>

Lloyd

Horrible Fright dont have any stores in the uk that i`m aware of but there`s no shortage of similar (iffy) quality presses on offer :) If you have a press with an onboard gauge then you`re right, a little simple math and you`re good to go.

How many presses do you have, Patrick?

Lloyd

I have the 6 ton from Caleb and I'm getting an arbor press and I have a pump for a power press that I'll eventually put to use.