APC Forum

Box Elder charcoal

MadMat

I was wondering if anyone has tried box elder wood for charcoal. I know it's a soft, kind of spongy wood and think it might work good. Anyone?

All I could find rates it with maple which is mediocre at best.

Well, that saves me the trouble of cooking up a batch!

Cook up a batch of wine corks....natural ones...let me know the difference....worth it!!

I think many here would end up with cirrhosis trying to make enough BP to meet their needs.

I bet cow pies would make a serviceable BP. Just saying.

Actually, there are tons of things that can make good BP if you are willing to test a few things which are local and readily available. For most things pyro, the absolute hottest BP just isn't needed and a good middle of the road BP is plenty adequate for the majority of uses. But I admit, it can be fun to see just how fast and hot you can make it. And the real hot stuff does work well in nozzle-less and end burner rockets.

Well, I have plenty of willow and cedar trees around here, willow being my wood of choice for my charcoal. I was just curious about the box elder, since we just cut down a few box elder trees an I have a pile of wood that will probably be burned, for cooking good charcoal :)

• 3 years later...

I postpone this post to share my experience. Even if at first I was skeptical about the final result.

Today I tried to make a batch of coal from elder wood, to my surprise it turned out to be much more powerful than the charcoal I buy in pyro stores from the cost of 23.00 per kg plus shipping.

Even if I don't have the ball mill to grind the chem is very easy with a simple blender.

Soon I will try to granulate to lift 2'm shell. Anyway already by eye it seems to be faster than with screw coal.

I find that I am pleasantly surprised in producing my own charcoal. Most all my charcoal is above average compared to hobby materials. It's very easy to do , and rewarding. It's nice to see others learning to be more independent in the hobby, producing their own materials
  • Like 1

You are perfectly right, you have many advantages, savings, satisfaction and in some cases, like our sharcoal, a higher quality.
  • Like 1