APC Forum

Why Aren't Comets Sold to Consumers?

BlueComet24

In all the times I've gone shopping at fireworks stands, I don't think I've ever seen comets for sale. This seems odd, as just about everyone loves a good comet. I was thinking that maybe comets are expensive due to the use of a large quantity of composition, and thus manufacturers don't make them to be sold to consumers, but comets made from BP-type comps such as Tiger Tail would be relatively cheap when compared to colored stars. As far as I can tell, comets would be regulated like aerial shells, so they'd be subject to the 1.75" and 40g limits, but would be 1.4g. The only other factor I can think of that would limit their sale is demand. Maybe people just aren't as intrigued by a comet as they are by a shell that goes bang! Do any of you know why comets aren't sold to consumers?

Blue! ALL SORTS of Class-C fireworks contain comets! I think you need to question your local vendors, not the availability of comets!

LLoyd

They contain comets in things like cakes, but do they sell reloadable or single-shot comets?

Single-shot, sure. "Reloadables"? I don't think I've even seen professional pyro with "reloadable comets", except in very large sizes (3" and larger).

What are you looking for? And why can't you MAKE it, instead of buying it at a class-C stand?

LLoyd

Oh, I do make my own. :)

I was just wondering because I realized I hadn't seen any "good-sized" (1"-1.75") comets at the stands around here. Sounds like it's just these ones.

Big Fireworks out of Michigan had a reloadable comet kit called solar wind in ~2008 and a few years after that. I'm not sure if it's still available.

Miller Fireworks out of Ohio had some ~25 shot comet cakes a few years back, again I'm not sure if they are still available.

Victory Fireworks in Wisconsin has had red and silver razzles, 25 shot 3/4" comet cakes for the past 10+ years, and if I'm not mistaken they recently introduced some new color(s).

There is the classic Lidu Future War 500g large cold comet cake, out of Nite Lites in Kentucky afaik. This one is great.

The recurring problem with these items is that they don't sell well. The small (if present at all) discount associated with comet items usually isn't enough to sway the consumer from more exciting exploding items.

Edited by pyrokid
  • Like 1

Future War cakes are my favorite consumer comet. However, I have never fired on as it was built, I always took the comets apart and used them like any other single shot display comet.

I do remember consumer reloadable comets, but heard retailers complain that they sold poorly and were reported as duds by customers who expected them to break like a shell.

There is a huge difference between the average consumer and the backyard 1.4g hobbiest who can fire a worthy display by being creative with off the shell consumer product. The later would appreciate comets and single effect cakes more than the typical consumer. Unfortunately, there are too few people willing to purchase that product to make it worth importing. Many pyros who like these effects gravitate to getting their license to purchase and use display product and/or learning to build it themselves.

Hmm, good point about people thinking they were dud shells. I guess I can't really complain about how uncommonly they're sold, as I can just make them, which I'm happy to do.

In the UK comets are quiet fireworks with a lift charge but no break charge so they are seen as "kids stuff" with not enough bang for the amateur user. For the professional user they are very useful in larger sizes.

• 3 weeks later...

Spirit of 76 sells all kinds of nifty 1.4g stuff

http://www.76fireworks.com/wholesale_fireworks/Comets

You have to buy decent quantities to get decent prices, and shipping is by freight only.

That said, it's too easy to make good ones yourself to buy these, IMHO.

Kevin

Edited by Nessalco

Kellner's Fireworks,of Pennsylvania sells a Gold or Charcoal Crossette Comet Cake called "White Sands Missile Range". It is one of the best I ever seen for 1.4.

The top of each tube in the twelve shot cake has a plastic nose cone, to make it appear like a missile battery. If the nose cones are removed, the height of the comets would increase.

When they first came available, I seen customers purchase cases, by the pallet, at their Demo Nights.

My favorite comet of all time was a 24 inch blue comet...

Glad to hear you like me! :D I wonder if anyone has actually made a comet that big, or even "just" 8" or so?

Kellner's Fireworks,of Pennsylvania sells a Gold or Charcoal Crossette Comet Cake called "White Sands Missile Range". It is one of the best I ever seen for 1.4.

Neat, crossettes are some of my favorites. I'll keep an eye out for them. Edited by BlueComet24

"My favorite comet of all time was a 24 inch blue comet..."

-----------

I've GOT to believe that if 24" has anything at ALL to do with that description, that it describes the diameter of the shell in which 1" to 1-1/2" blue comets were displayed!

Nobody's ever successfully built a 24" comet, to my knowledge!

LLoyd

I believe he was making a joke about my username.

If you put comets in a shell, don't they become stars? ;)

I guess we can try to get Japan or China to try making jumbo comets. After all, Japan had a 48" ball shell.

<shrug>... Somehow, I didn't see your username as being very comedic... more of "just natural for a fireworker". A good username!

LLoyd

Yeah... so? That ain't 24-inch! <G>

Jim is a wise man. He wouldn't even BEGIN to make something he knew from the beginning would ALWAYS be a failure, no matter how hard he tried!

Lloyd

Yeah... so? That ain't 24-inch! <G>

Jim is a wise man. He wouldn't even BEGIN to make something he knew from the beginning would ALWAYS be a failure, no matter how hard he tried!

Lloyd

Still the same old codger...

• Like 1