APC Forum

8" Shell

schroedinger

Hi

I'm looking to make my first 8" this year.

So now is the question which materials to use.

For burst i figured to use puffed rice about 3 or 4 :1. Will i need some booster?

The for the stars, the effect i want is a ling hanging whitle willow, i thought about C8 + 10% Ti. What size should the Ti be and how big should the Stars be (they should arch over) 1" or bigger?

Good luck with your efforts. I've never made anything that big but, from what I've read and experienced, the larger the shell the less the need for booster in the burst (as long as your BP is decently fast, I assume). The charts I have show 5/8" or larger for tailed stars. I assume the larger the star the longer the hang time (just make sure your shell is high enough!)

Booster is a personal preference, I would use spanish booster, because I am a lazy paster :)

Use somewhat coarse Ti or FeTi.

Shimizu willow / TT 50/50 milled 1H (recalculate amounts if you wish) FeTi 10% or less, stars 16 mm, 4 mm strobe core:

https://youtu.be/Mp73HvlHOE4

Next improvement could be willow/TT 75/25 I think, maybe slightly bigger stars.

• Like 1

That shell was very nice. Ok willow/tt is an other good idea, it burn a lot slower. Do you know how many kg/lb of stars you had to prepare?

I don't remember the weight of the stars, I calculated around 330/340 stars (and some extra), if you have specific density of TT or something similar you could calculate it to get a good approximation.

Must admit that I like Slow Gold as a star with bright willow effect. Nitrate and various particle sizes make things easy. The size of the break is largely controlled by the quantity and quality of the pasting. Put it WAY too high for a start then drop back on the lift so that the tails burn out at 50 to 100 feet.

Gads I miss this stuff! F meee... 8 incher... Weee! LOL! Nice work.

Booster is a personal preference, I would use spanish booster, because I am a lazy paster :)

Use somewhat coarse Ti or FeTi.

Shimizu willow / TT 50/50 milled 1H (recalculate amounts if you wish) FeTi 10% or less, stars 16 mm, 4 mm strobe core:

https://youtu.be/Mp73HvlHOE4

Next improvement could be willow/TT 75/25 I think, maybe slightly bigger stars.

Nice shell..!!

Really nice.....

• Like 1

Richtee, we miss you equally man! Would love to see you pick it back up. I recently picked up smoking meats myself. I'm loving it brother!
  • Like 1

Richtee, we miss you equally man! Would love to see you pick it back up. I recently picked up smoking meats myself. I'm loving it brother!

Anything I can help ya with in that arena, drop me a note. I have a “contact” button on my website @ www.MadHunkyMeats.com. Tell me you use more than mesquite! :D